need help with my tank

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

need help with my tank

Postby ricesoccer24 on Fri May 31, 2013 12:15 pm

I am having a hard time trying to keep corals in my tank i have kept many many fish and many inverts such as crabs, shrimp, and snails. But i still struggle to be able to keep coral alive for more than a week. My lighting system is good i think, i have two t5 ho bulbs and two antic blue bulbs on a coralife 4 bulb light fixture. I do a 10-15% water change weekly and also clean my filters weekly but I do not know what I am doing wrong please help me. I was thinking about buying some testing kits and also some additives but i don't know what i should buy.
ricesoccer24

Re: need help with my tank

Postby zdstrong on Fri May 31, 2013 7:48 pm

regardless of the reason for the coral problems I would get a couple test kits. If you dont have any, just get a basic set of nh4 no3 no2 and ph. if you are doing water changes then i am going to assume that your lights are the issue try keeping them at the very top and see if they improve. I am assuming these are mushrooms zoos and leathers. If you have any other types then you NEED stronger lights. Corals are hardier then we give them credit for. putting a bunch of additives isnt really necessary with regular changes as long as you have a small amount of corals.
zdstrong

Postby Socratic Monologue on Fri May 31, 2013 8:59 pm

Coral death after a week is almost certainly a water quality or predation issue. Most any coral can live for more than a week under ambient (room) lighting.

Taking a water sample to a quality LFS (Living Art, Best Fish) would be a good place to start. If you are willing to list ALL the specs, livestock, hardware, maintenance routines, etc. here, someone might notice what is amiss.
Socratic Monologue

Postby zdstrong on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:17 pm

good point, I didnt notice the one week timeline. if it were a lighting issue you would notice a lack of growth maybe some color loss but even that would take much longer than a week. Ive seen corals last over two month with zero supplement lighting.

only surviving a week makes me think serious, like said above toxin/predator. even with poor water quality i would expect a gradual decline.

more details of you system and types of corals
zdstrong

Postby Socratic Monologue on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:21 pm

zdstrong wrote: even with poor water quality i would expect a gradual decline.

True, although the issue that came to my mind was copper in source water (if RO is not being used).
Socratic Monologue

Return to MARS General