strange creatures

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

strange creatures

Postby 2kids1dog on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:45 am

Hi---I could very well just be seeing some sort of large copepod or something, but I have noticed about 1/2 dozen swimming "thingies" around my large turbo snail and the glass/sand bottom that I have never seen before. They seem to have wiggly tails, a larger head and are staying right next to her. Swimming somewhat in random circles/loops around her shell. I don't see any of these any where else on my rocks, etc.
I recently added 2 large nassarius snails...is it possible they brought eggs of something (such as a fish?) on them and they hatched in my tank...to me they look very tadpole-like. I had a fish free tank up until last week when I added 2 small clowns, so I know I didn't have any fish breeding in here. I am sorry--no way for me to get a pic or video of these things...the snail is very healthy too, we've had her almost 4 years. I say "she" because my daughter names everything and this is "Shelley"
Just wanted an opinion/guess as to what they could be. Thanks!!!
2kids1dog

Re: strange creatures

Postby Rueg on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:28 am

Do a Google search for 'baby Mysis shrimp pics'. Is that possibly what you are seeing?
Rueg

Postby Rueg on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:33 am

Or better yet do a search on YouTube for baby Mysis shrimp. There are some good videos of them swimming around.
Do you feed frozen Mysis shrimp by chance?
Rueg

Postby 2kids1dog on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi--I watched the Youtube videos---looks a lot like that!!! Right down to the little silvery "eyes"? I do feed frozen Mysis shrimp often...never knew they could hatch from that---way cool!!! Also saw a bristle worm eat one I think...
2kids1dog

Return to MARS General