New Fish Store

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

New Fish Store

Postby chrisbeck on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:41 pm

I'm kinda new to Madison, 2yrs. But, I have wanted badly to start a fish store for quite sometime and was wondering whether or not poeple thought Madison could sustain another one? I think I have good ideas for a cool twist on a store and want to make an impact on conservation of the reefs/creating new. Thought, it would be interesting to see what people thought!
chrisbeck

Re: New Fish Store

Postby Rueg on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:58 pm

At least two stores have closed over the last 5 years or so. The only stores I can think of that carry saltwater fish anymore that are still open are Animart, Pet World Warehouse and Living Art. These three stores are spread out across Madison. Where would you open a store - I think that would be key. And also the health and price of the fish. I think there is room for competition, but not sure if it would/could be profitable.
Rueg

Postby nasanek on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:15 am

I love the idea of a new store to compete, but I agree with Rueg that it seems like fish only stores haven't had an easy time in Madison. Can you tell us any more of your ideas to find out more about your plans?

Sounds exciting!
Nick
Life is a comedy for those who think... and a tragedy for those who feel.
~Horace Walpole
nasanek

Postby MadCityReefer on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:39 am

As a ex employee of one of those Fish Stores, Aquarium SuperStore and Aquatic Specialties here in Madison where eventually owned by the same person. The reason there doors closed was because of the economy and poor management and let's be honest Pet World barely qualifies as a "GOOD" fish store!!
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

New Fish Store

Postby starboard on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:59 am

I truly believe the only way to be successful is to have a world class network of people involved. Meaning.. Experts in quality fish/corals/plants/equipment from the source to the showroom floor.
In this economy competition is everything and if you're not up for the challenge or do extensive research you're destined for failure. My wife is an entrepreneur and has imported hand made furniture from SE Asia for her furniture store she once had and traveled the world researching to find those unique pieces to sell. She did very well for the first few years til the economy crashed and so did the dream.
So what I am trying to say is make those connections ,have a solid plan, be competitive/quality product/knowledgable staff, and you will succeed. Do the research.
starboard

Postby Blue2Fyr3 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:43 pm

As an employee of Petworld, I'm curious what you think could be done to make Pet world a "good" pet store? We work pretty hard there and I'm open to suggestions.

Also I would LOVE a nice saltwater store in Madison. I really like the stores Milwaukee has. I would love our very own Best Fish here in Madison :)
Blue2Fyr3

Postby tickle on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:19 pm

I'd love to see another open up I'd just hate to see it flop. I feel most with the exception of living arts are somewhat sub par due to the fact they are a pet store and not a specialty store. I frequent animart just due to the fact its 45 minutes for me to get there.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
tickle

Postby MadCityReefer on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:39 am

Blue2Fyr3 wrote:As an employee of Petworld, I'm curious what you think could be done to make Pet world a "good" pet store? We work pretty hard there and I'm open to suggestions.

Also I would LOVE a nice saltwater store in Madison. I really like the stores Milwaukee has. I would love our very own Best Fish here in Madison :)

Lets be honest, as a "FISH STORE" Pet World is limited to what they can do and products they carry. I'm sure you work very hard and Todd is great but there is a serious lack of knowledgeable employees "specially in the fish department" except possibly you and Todd. I once saw a Pet World employee sell a customer saltwater snails to a person who had a freshwater tank. Pet World fired the only person "Chris" who was very knowledgeable and I trusted his opinion. Chris was a asset to Pet World and one of the reasons I went there. The systems are old and mostly tied into each other so if one tank is sick so are the rest. Lighting is inadequate and needs a complete overhaul. Todd is well aware of this and out of his power and I get that. When it comes to fish related products, there limited to what they carry which is manly what is distributed by Central Aquatics "Coralife,Kent,Aqueon...etc No real specialty products and lets not get into the lack of frozen food choices. Freshwater on the other hand is great and prices are fair and the fish seem pretty healthy. I'm not trying to pick on Pet World but it's not really a "Fish Store" per say when it comes to saltwater.
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Postby Blue2Fyr3 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:20 am

Sure. I see what you are saying :) Thanks for sharing.

We all miss Chris as well.
Blue2Fyr3

Return to MARS General