Ideas for bulb set-up

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Ideas for bulb set-up

Postby 2kids1dog on Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:39 am

I have a 36" 4 bulb T-5 light on my 30 gallon tank. What I'd like is opinions on the best color combo for the new lights I'd like to get later this Summer. Right now I have 2 10K white (don't know any brand name for them) and 2 actinic. I have only soft corals in the tank right now..mostly zoos and Xenia. I'm thinking of replacing at least 1 white 10K with something stronger...like a 12 or 14K.
Wondering what other folks have used and had success with because I know the better bulbs come in a wide range of other color styles. Could I get some suggestions please? Thanks much!!!
2kids1dog

Re: Ideas for bulb set-up

Postby O&J'sdad on Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:51 am

For my 4 bulb setup I always used 2 ati blue+,an aqua blue special, and a purple plus. If you want a little bluer look you can replace the aqua blue with a coral+.
Ati are the best bulbs out there. If you are replacing factory junk bulbs make sure you acclimate your corals to the stronger bulbs. I wouldn't change more the 1 a week or every other week would probably be better.
O&J'sdad

Postby MadCityReefer on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:43 am

+1 what O&J's dad is suggesting

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Postby Socratic Monologue on Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:11 am

Best Fish has various lamps independently switched so you can turn on different lamp combinations to see what you prefer -- might be worth a visit there.
Socratic Monologue

Return to MARS General