Why are my GSP's dying/dead?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Why are my GSP's dying/dead?

Postby causeofhim on Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:30 pm

I bought a small frag of gsp's and when I placed them into my tank the polyps were out but not open. The next dat they looked gone and the following day the frag was white and white "flesh" was being blown around my tank. I am assuming that it died. Why would this happen?

I have 2 yellow tails, serpent star, about 30-40 small snails, and 20 cleaner hermits. I have 3 different mushroom colonies, 2 types of xenia, 2 kenya trees, a colt, a ricordia, and three types of zoas that are all doing wonderful in the tank. Why did the gsp die?

My tank is 30 gal. 130 watts pc, the GSPs were neer the top, 50 lbs live rock, 30 lbs live sand, skimmer, and a small fuge.
Water is:
Temp 80.0 F
Salt 1.022
ite .05
ate 20
PH 8.05
Alk 4
Cal 350

Please help, GSPs are supposed to be easy. :cry:
causeofhim

Postby moujon on Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:36 pm

Can't give you an answer, but when you figure out what happened I'll have a frag for you. Mine are spreading like crazy. I just have to encourage them to grow onto a small rock and you'll have some!
Shel
moujon

Postby causeofhim on Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:18 pm

I float frags in tank for 30 mins. Then add small amount of tank water to bag every 15 mins. after an hour I swap 1/2 water out for tank water. Last add about 1/4 more tank water and add frag to tank. Whole process usually takes 1.5 - 2 hours.

The levels I gave you are ones that I read tonight. Before I bought the frag my nitrite level was 0 and my nitrate was 15 ( a little hight but not dangerous). I did not think this calcium level would affect the health of this coral.
causeofhim

Postby Brad_608 on Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:52 pm

for the future I would and do use the drip method

it seems to work best for alot of people.

with the way you are doing it it is better than just temp accl., but it's still changing the levels in short bursts. by dripping it, it's constantly and slowly evening things out.
not to say this is why they died but just some advice.

also I think evening levels to
sal. 1.025
cal 400-450
ph 8.1-8.3
nitrates below 10

would help things, although again this shouldn't have killed em

how many frags did you add at the same time and what

maybe the person that gave them to ya could list thier tank parameters if it was quite a change this may have something to do with it
also did you treat them at all before adding?

just some thought
Brad
I'm unemployable Yeah
Brad_608

Postby friogatto on Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:31 pm

I have some GSP on a rock that is overgrown already if you want it let me know. It's yours.
If anyone else is interested in some let me know. i trim it about once a month and end up throwing it out.
friogatto

Postby tzenda on Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:25 pm

hey friogatto i would be interested in getten some GSP from ya the next time ya get the urge to chuck them away.

just let me know and i will come get them 8)
Your body is not a temple, its an amusment park. Enjoy your time there.
tzenda

Postby friogatto on Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:29 pm

I'll post whe I'm ready to trim. It should be before the 27th meeting.
friogatto

Return to MARS General