Heater, Frustrating Task

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Heater, Frustrating Task

Postby nwieczorek on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:51 pm

I was wondering what type of heaters people are using now a days? I have been doing research and most heaters, that I have found, have about half the reviews great, and the other half crap. I need a heater for a 75 gallon Reef that I will be starting up soon.

Thank you,
Nathan
nwieczorek

Re: Heater, Frustrating Task

Postby okcChief on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:19 pm

Nathen,

On my previous setup I went with a JBJ true temp controller with a Finnex submersible heater. I've seen too tanks get over cooked because of a malfunctioning heater. Always placed the heater in the sump and the monitor in the tank to get a more accurate reading.

James
okcChief

Postby MadCityReefer on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:49 pm

Always have a fail safe and use a separate thermostat just in case the first one fails

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4
Attachments
FI-MAX-300.jpg
FI-MAX-300.jpg (39.47 KiB) Viewed 829 times
Last edited by MadCityReefer on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Postby Rueg on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:57 am

You can't trust the thermostat on heaters. Have had them fail and the temp plummet during the winter and then also get stuck on and try to cook the tank. I try to have a controller of some type. I know it adds quite a bit to the budget, but worth it in the long run. A good heater controller is expensive to the point where you may as well spend the extra money and get a controller that is more flexible and worth the cost. For $120 you can get a Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper lite: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefkeepe ... atics.html
Of course there are many other choices as far as controllers. I have also been trying to stick with Eheim heaters - they seem to be a little more reliable - but also larger and harder to fit.
Rueg

Postby okcChief on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:51 am

If you add up the cost of timers, power bars, and separate monitors, the reef keeper lite is actually less expensive and provides move services. I know it kind of sucks to have to put that much money into equipment, but if you think of how much you've invested in livestock it's well worth it.
okcChief

Postby MadCityReefer on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:43 pm

I think the Neptune Apex is better IMO, only because I have had both the Reef Keeper Elite w/net and the full Neptune Apex. I sold my ReefKeeper for the Apex. It was much easier to set up and user friendly and customer service from what I hear is above and beyond Digital Aquatics. Apex Jr is a $100 more then the ReefKeeper lite thou. So if your only planning to use this as a thermostat then the ReefKeeper is the way to go price wise.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Neptune_Syst ... MI-vi.html
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Return to MARS General