PH swings...

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

PH swings...

Postby bubblewood on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:28 am

Just looking for some insight and "acceptable range" for PH. I know there are many variables that will cause a reef tank PH swing. What is a acceptable range, low / Night High / day?
My current PH swings are from 7.8 night to 8.16 day. I would prefer to keep it in the low 8 for night and 8.30 ish for day. Any ideas for getting this into the range I'm looking for?
Some current conditions on my reef tank thru my Apex.
Calcium reactor - Cal 440
Mag 1400
Alk - 8.8
temp 78.5
Pho - 0

Thanks for any input!
bubblewood

Re: PH swings...

Postby Socratic Monologue on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:18 pm

Not to be flip, but I think an acceptable pH range is one in which the livestock in your system flourishes. If you position the Apex so that the corals can't see the display, it is unlikely the pH will bother them. :D

More helpfully:

CaRx's can be a contributor to slightly lower pH, simply because of the CO2. You could take it offline for a while to see if there is any rise in pH, and if there is, then maybe you could run the RX only during the day. Not sure if you could keep up with Ca and alk that way, though.

You could dose Kalkwasser to raise the pH when it drops at night. A reverse daylight algae refugium can help. A CO2 scrubber on the skimmer air intake can raise pH.

I notice that my system runs highest pH (+0.2 above normal averages) when I let the PO4 get a little high and a thin film of green algae covers everything (the glass, mostly). Photosynthesis raises pH quite effectively, by using CO2. I'm not sure how to turn this into a practical recommendation, though.
Socratic Monologue

Postby bubblewood on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Well it worked ! I moved the Apex display outta view from the corals and everyone is happy! =D> I have done everything you have mentioned outside of the Kalk dosing. I have adjusted a few things and my PH has increased to the 8.2 day and 8.09 at night. The adjustments have seem to help.
Thanks for the advice!
bubblewood

Postby Socratic Monologue on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:47 am

bubblewood wrote: I have adjusted a few things and my PH has increased to the 8.2 day and 8.09 at night.

That's a very tight range. Nice to know that if you have any trouble in the future with the tank, you can at least eliminate pH swings as a possible culprit.
Socratic Monologue

Postby cr8signs on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:25 am

What are you using to measure your ph?
cr8signs

Return to MARS General