New to Metal Halides

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

New to Metal Halides

Postby 2kids1dog on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:30 pm

I have the chance to upgrade my tank to a 55 gallon which has metal halide lights. I've only used HO T5s so far....from what I've read these lights are very strong, but also run very hot and use a lot of electricity. I don't know what watt bulbs are in the light or what kind of fixture...
What advice can I get about this light system? I am only looking to keep softies like zoos, a hammer and some Xenia. I do have a Condy anemone too but not looking to go into SPS or LPS corals. Will this be too much light?
2kids1dog

Re: New to Metal Halides

Postby plainrt on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:05 pm

Alot of people make heat with halides sound worse then really is.electric will prob be a bit more but not some crazy number. Are they 70,150,250 or 400w halides? It's hard to say anything else without knowing more.
plainrt

Postby 2kids1dog on Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:14 pm

The fella said it was a Fish Need It brand light, did not know output. Said it clamps onto the tank edge....I've been reading as much as I can on it but would still like people's opinions on here! Otherwise I'll be looking into another T-5. I was told to run the light for 1 hour at a time, so it doesn't shock the corals I have now...is that true? How long will it take to acclimate them?
2kids1dog

Postby plainrt on Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:32 pm

It would be much better to run fixture higher and bring down over time.If its 250w or less i wouldnt worry to much about shocking corals.What brand bulbs?
plainrt

Postby 2kids1dog on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks for info--unfortunately I was mislead about the size of the aquarium...I ended up with a 46 gallon bowfront, not a 55 like I had expected. My fault for not having a tape measure along...tank is turning out to be a gross mess to clean but will look nice when I'm done. On the plus side--the lights from my original tank will fit on this one!
Anyone familiar with an Odyssea protein skimmer? I did get that along with the tank...
2kids1dog

Return to MARS General