Who was talking about securing mushrooms with toothpicks?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Who was talking about securing mushrooms with toothpicks?

Postby spbreeder on Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:06 pm

Warren gave me some nice mushrooms but they won't stay put. I thought I heard someone talking about using toohpicks but I'm not sure. any suggestions?
Denise
spbreeder

Postby friogatto on Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:31 pm

Find a piece of rubble with a big enough hole to fit the entire mushroom in it. Make a X over the hole with rubber bands. This should keep the shroom from traveling until it mounts it's self. If you hold it to the rock with the rubber band it will split or squieze out and go for a float.
You just want to limit where it can go and not hold it down.
Low flow also helps, but keep it in the light. You want it to be happy enough to mount it's self.
Hope this helps.
friogatto

Postby spbreeder on Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:36 pm

Thanks, but being as impatient as I am I tried something else. I put a flat piece of base rock inside of a piece of pantyhose and then put the mushroom on the rock inside the hose. It is holding it in place nicely, I pulled it tight enough to let the light through, but not too tight to squeeze it too tightly. Now if the darned thing will attach.....Denise
spbreeder

Postby Toddah on Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:53 am

I have done something similar but using a small rock in a shotglass and covering the top with a chunk of wedding veil material. be careful the mushroom could attach to the nylon and not the rock or worse yet both.
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby spbreeder on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:11 pm

can it attach on the top? It is laying flat right now and is opening.
spbreeder

Postby Brad_608 on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:24 pm

I just let mine sit on the bottom till it attaches to some rock and then glue that in the display
I'm unemployable Yeah
Brad_608

Postby spbreeder on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:52 pm

I don't have any shot glasses but tried a very small container, it just kept swirling around.
What time are you coming?
Denise
spbreeder

Postby MattK on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:59 pm

If it's swirling around, then the container is in too high of flow. Try moving it where there's less current.

BTW: I use the small 1 cup disposable gladware containers instead of shot glasses. (I like my shot glasses too much)

Matt
MattK

Postby spbreeder on Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:03 pm

I tried that too, I couldn't find a spot where it would stay for any length of time. I guess that is a good thing though, no real dead spots. The nylon seems to be working. The piece of rock is pretty flat with one corner curled up kinda like a surfing wave curl and the mushroom is in the curl so the nylon isn't really pressing on it, just holding it there.

Denise
spbreeder

Postby spbreeder on Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:13 pm

I tried that too, I couldn't find a spot where it would stay for any length of time. I guess that is a good thing though, no real dead spots. The nylon seems to be working. The piece of rock is pretty flat with one corner curled up kinda like a surfing wave curl and the mushroom is in the curl so the nylon isn't really pressing on it, just holding it there.

Denise
spbreeder

Postby friogatto on Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:43 pm

it won't attach to the nylon but will try to grow through it.
Make sure to take the nylon off as soon as it shows it's attaching our you'll never get it out with out hurting the shroom
friogatto

Postby spbreeder on Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:34 pm

It worked. I checked it today and it is attached to the rock.
spbreeder

Postby Toddah on Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:04 am

Congrats your a new (Mushroom) Mom,
Now be carefull when placing it in your display and give it some thought because if it likes the location you pick it will begin to sprout offspring at an amazing rate. Be sure you want the potential dozens of mushrooms in THAT tank location. They can get to be like weeds and spread to unintended locations if tank conditions are right. mushrooms are great but they can get out of hand down the road and are hard to control.
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Return to MARS General