clownfish? fry

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

clownfish? fry

Postby MM on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:49 am

I was collecting fry from black ice clowns monday night and the tank right next door I knew had eggs so a took a look and sure enough thier were fry collecting under the flashlight which was illuminating the corners of each tank. I collected both and put them in a tank for rearing. I noticed that the fry in the second tank were small and transparent. Clown babies are usually fat and colored. This morning I noted that the clowns had not yet hatched, There is a pair of damsels in the other tank also so I may have inadvertantly collected damsel fish fry. Has anyone else had damsels spawn successfully or anyone else have thoughts on this. The odd fry are less than half the expected size and currently colorlessl

- Mark
MM

Re: clownfish? fry

Postby MM on Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:04 pm

this site has become such a ghost town, i know i have been away and am part of the problem, but i do miss my old friends. :(
MM

Postby salmonshutters on Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:32 pm

I have never heard of anyone breading damsels in captivity yet. That would be cool if that were the case along with your clowns. I know sometimes spawnings are triggered by things unheard of. Maybe your clowns spawning in your system have triggered your damsels to spawn too. Just a thought.
salmonshutters

Postby Socratic Monologue on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:17 pm

You might search by species name at marinebreeders.org. There should be info at The Breeders Registry, but I think they're in the middle of a website update and not much is available there currently.
Socratic Monologue

Postby MM on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:45 pm

I assume most damsels have been bred before, but i real don't know. the species i have in there is not a very common one so if it is the damsels this particular species may not have been bred before.

- mark
MM

Postby MM on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:39 pm

this is the closet pic i could find for what these damsels look like, not sure if it is them, seems slightly diff but is close enough that this could be them

http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibra ... tterID=757
MM

Postby BraenDead on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:37 pm

That's pretty cool - I don't know much about breeding fish, but would be interested to hear updates on how this goes...
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby MM on Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:01 am

yeah at this point I don't know much about raising the fry either but i am learning more each try, LOL, i really dont think the little dudes have much of a chance but they are at day 3 now and almost no losses so far.

- mark
MM

Postby R33f3rMadn3ss on Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:22 pm

MM wrote:yeah at this point I don't know much about raising the fry either but i am learning more each try, LOL, i really dont think the little dudes have much of a chance but they are at day 3 now and almost no losses so far.

- mark

Get in touch with Alpha Aquaculture, great brains to pick when it comes to larval rearing.
I reserve the right to at any point have my fish eat your fish.....
R33f3rMadn3ss

Postby MM on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:48 pm

I lost about half the fry after feeding ground spirulina, i guess that must not have been a good idea. they were eating it like mad but some of them started to do the death dive, swimming funny, so I turned out the lights and covered the tank so they would stop eating it. Long story short still have half of them and they are eating fresh hatch baby brine like mad. This is going pretty good actually going pretty good minus my mess up with the spirulina. That must have been a no-no.

This is kinda fun watching them grow and feed. They already have colors developing. Tomorrow will be day 7.

- mark
MM

clownfish? fry

Postby drdavis on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:16 am

You need something like rotifers. Although they are eating bbs I have read that it is like eating iceberg lettuce, it has little caloric value.

You could try enriching the bbs with selcon and spirulina prior to feeding it to the fry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
drdavis

Postby R33f3rMadn3ss on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:18 am

drdavis wrote:You need something like rotifers. Although they are eating bbs I have read that it is like eating iceberg lettuce, it has little caloric value.

You could try enriching the bbs with selcon and spirulina prior to feeding it to the fry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would use rotifers, and enrich them with phytoplankton.....
I reserve the right to at any point have my fish eat your fish.....
R33f3rMadn3ss

Postby MM on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:58 am

they are getting rotifiers and baby brine now. I was just surprised that spirulina messed them up. I would have guessed that if they ate it it would be good for them.
MM

Postby MM on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:08 pm

OK, just finishing day 9, I have several of the black ice with fat little bellies, and about a half dozen damsel fry, not quite as fat or large from the same night of collecting fry. I am keeping rotifers in there for them both but the clown fry have orange bellies now from eating baby brine. I also have a third hatching from a pair of Os. Clowns. So two diff clown varieties and a damsel variety of fry all doing fine. This is kinda fun.

- Mark
MM

clownfish? fry

Postby IslaDelMar on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:12 am

If they make it . I would like to buy a pair of black ice
IslaDelMar

Next

Return to MARS General