clownfish? fry

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: clownfish? fry

Postby MM on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Day 13 just ended. The black ice babies have their front stripe now and some are starting to develop their back stripe. I plan on order some type of specialty weaning food tomorrow and hope to start feeding them something other than the baby brine and rotis they are getting now. I don't know if they are still eating the rotis as the baby brine are much a bigger bite and their bellies have been orange and big. They are starting to look like baby clownfish and I am getting much more confident with this. I have 7 pairs of fish spawning now so i will keep playing around with this. Yellow strip maroons, black saddlebacks, two pairs of ocellaris, a mixed pair percula and one of those specialty clowns mix pair, and a pair of damsels.

- mark
MM

Postby Slrademacher on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:01 am

I had a lot of success with Otohime when transitioning off of live food.
Slrademacher

Postby johntroxel71 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:21 am

I would like to buy 2 of them also.
johntroxel71

Postby MM on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:01 pm

Very Good! I will keep you all posted. Thanks for the interest!

Day 15 ending tonight.

Most of them now look like little clowns, orange with two white stripes. They are so tiny to have the exact markings and shape of an adult clown. It is really cool to see. A few are still developing their second stripe. This really is cool. There are a couple of damsels fry still in there also, much smaller than the clowns but eating the baby brine well. I just started feeding one of the professional solid feeds today. I have batches hatching this week but will be traveling so I am going to have to skip the next round of fry and likely a round of damsel fry but I will be a complete guess any night i go down to see if they hatched as i have no idea where they are spawning, I rarely see them. They live under the egg crate in a frag tank and never come atop, the clowns in there never go below.

- Mark
MM

Postby Carinya on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:04 pm

Nice job! Very exciting they've made it this far. Let us know what happens.

Regarding the forum being dead, I know I pay more attention to the hobby in colder months. I'll be back here checking your progress.

Carrie
Carinya

Postby MM on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:46 pm

Day 25, still doing good. Many have all three stripes now. One of them is almost all white, colors still coming in though. I will post pics as soon as they are large enough to get a good pic. I have a poor video on my facebook from my cell phone but I need to pic up a good digital video camera.

- mark
MM

Postby R33f3rMadn3ss on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:09 pm

MM wrote:Day 25, still doing good. Many have all three stripes now. One of them is almost all white, colors still coming in though. I will post pics as soon as they are large enough to get a good pic. I have a poor video on my facebook from my cell phone but I need to pic up a good digital video camera.

- mark

facebook name issss? lol, i wanna see them! im half tempted to say id take the drive from madison just to do so! i cant wait till there big enough to come home with me, muahahahaaaaa! *gets all squishy inside* =P~
I reserve the right to at any point have my fish eat your fish.....
R33f3rMadn3ss

Postby Carinya on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:16 pm

Are you bringing any to the swap?
Carinya

Postby MM on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:13 pm

If they are large enough by then I will bring some to the swap. They will be close. Here are some pictures of the parents to let you know what they will look like when mature.

clowns01b.jpg
black ice
clowns01b.jpg (91.39 KiB) Viewed 1237 times

clowns04b.jpg
black ice again
clowns04b.jpg (103.91 KiB) Viewed 1237 times

IMG_3201b.jpg
Black Ice again again
IMG_3201b.jpg (123.93 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
MM

Postby MM on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:14 pm

I have a video of the fry on my FB home page, i will try to link it to the MARS FB page so you can all find me, Mark Moeller. If you go to my FB page be warned it is very political between reef postings. :) mark
MM

Postby MM on Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:29 pm

I just put a post up in both the MARS FB page and the frag swap FB page so any of you can find me if you like.

- mark
MM

Postby Carinya on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:55 pm

Hope you get to bring some of them to the swap.
Carinya

Postby MM on Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:02 pm

I don't belive they will be big enough by the swap. They are over a half inch long now but have quite a bit of beeffing up yet to do. They are about two months old now, guessing, I quit counting. I will post some updates and some pics of them soon.- Mark
MM

Previous

Return to MARS General