re-starting rock

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

re-starting rock

Postby Longinus on Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:43 pm

After a period of ignoring my 33g long tank for about 2 years I have decided to get back into the hobby with a biocube 14, and am starting to get back into the swing of things. I bought the cube used with about 8lbs or so of LR and 1.5 gallons of sand that had all been sitting in the tank with the power off, and am planning to get it up and running using primarily that rock and sand. I still have my old tank running however, except it is over run with bubble algae, cyano and mojano's (oh, the fun!), largely a result of me ignoring it for a few years and only topping it off. A few rics, some green mushrooms, xenia and brown monties have survived the long bout of neglect, and I aim to try to get them ready for the new tank by removing them from their rocks when the new tank cycles.

The old rock however, I dont know what to do with. My current thought was to remove the rock from the tank after picking and corals off of it, and move it to a tub with a heater and pump for a month or two to hopefully kill off all the photosynthetic pests on the rocks. Anyone see any issues with this strategy?

Aside from this, would it be a good idea to get a small amount of seeder LR to run with my new rocks with? They were sitting in a cold tank with no flow, and I imagine that a great deal of the beneficial micro organisms are dead too, along with most of the bacteria.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Re: re-starting rock

Postby Longinus on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Also, does anyone know a good way to remove scratches from glass? When I picked up the tank it had a lot of coraline on the glass so I didn't notice it, but the front of the tank is kinda scratched up.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Postby Jeromi on Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:08 am

regarding the rock IMO you would be best off cleaning it off with a scrub brush and letting it dry out. If you want some rock to seed with I have some nice pest free stuff. I've watched videos on YouTube on removing scratches and it looks easy... But watching vids of people doing things is easy:)
Jeromi

Postby Socratic Monologue on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:13 am

I'd completely kill the LR. I'm not confident that a couple months of darkness would clean the rock up well enough -- Wikipedia says Valonia lives to 260 feet, and it does produce spores that would presumably survive a couple months in the dark. IDK about majanos, but Aiptasia are not strongly dependent on photosynthesis, so they may get through the dark treatment, too.

I like to kill LR with a couple days in the freezer; did wonders for a recent mantis problem.

And, yes, I'd get a little bit of seeder rock, if only for a seed culture of coralline and macro-organisms such as bristle worms and 'pods. I think bacteria find there way in there on sand and whatever corals you put in.
Socratic Monologue

Postby Longinus on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:11 pm

Cool, it was suggested to me that I scrub it down in SW or RO to get off the worst of it, then let it sit in darkness for months on end. I think I will take that route since I dont have freezer space (I suppose winter is coming though). Im not in much of a rush once I get the last of my corals into my new tank, I can sell off the lights, skimmer and HOB fuge and just let it cruise until I am confident the pests are gone from the rock. I tried to take the scratches out of the glass with a polishing wheel and my dremel, gave up after about an hour of it and decided they arent too bad. I can just enjoy through the scratches and worry about it when its time to upgrade in a year or two. Thanks for all the input folks!
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Return to MARS General