14g biocube stocking suggestions

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

14g biocube stocking suggestions

Postby Longinus on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:27 pm

Hi all,
I recently got a Biocube 14 set up and was looking for some stocking suggestions. So far I plan to go with some mushrooms, rics, zoas and easy care LPS such as frogspawn and hammers for corals. Livestock I am not sure yet, I was planning to get two fish, one clown and something else small due to the low water volume. Anyone have some nice suggestions for a nano-friendly fish that would be compatible with a clown?
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Re: 14g biocube stocking suggestions

Postby MadCityReefer on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:43 pm

When I had my biocube I was able to keep all those corals with just the PC's but I didn't have much luck with ricordea's
Suggested fish, small clown, neon goby, yellow tail damsel, azure damsel, tail spot blenny, firefish, clown goby, hector's goby, randall's goby, possum wrasse, yellow head jaw fish, circus goby, royal gramma...etc

Pic's of my old Biocube
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Postby plainrt on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:31 pm

Here is my first tank which was a 14 biocube. I enjoyed that tank other then ballast always burning out. Gave up and went with a 16.5 inch sunpod. Best thing ever did to that tank lol. I agree with the above stocking. I had two small clowns in mine.

Image[/quote]
plainrt

Postby Longinus on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks for the pics of your tanks guys, its nice to know how nice people have made their BC's look! Glad to know too that people have had luck with what I intend to keep, so far the rics I rescues from my last tank look pretty happy, although I am having trouble getting one latched onto much of anything. Nice to see some decently stocked cubes too, I was going to only go with 2 fish max, but I may have to push that to three. Has anyone had any behavioral complaints regarding the yellow tail damsels? I was looking at one of those for a starter since they arent bad looking and sound fairly hardy but I know Damsels can be jerks to more timid fish. Has anyone had any luck with basslets in a small reef? I was eyeing up Royal Grammas or a purple basslet, both of which had some nice colors but I wasnt sure how friendly they would be in a small tank.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Postby Longinus on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks for the pics of your tanks guys, its nice to know how nice people have made their BC's look! Glad to know too that people have had luck with what I intend to keep, so far the rics I rescues from my last tank look pretty happy, although I am having trouble getting one latched onto much of anything. Nice to see some decently stocked cubes too, I was going to only go with 2 fish max, but I may have to push that to three. Has anyone had any behavioral complaints regarding the yellow tail damsels? I was looking at one of those for a starter since they arent bad looking and sound fairly hardy but I know Damsels can be jerks to more timid fish. Has anyone had any luck with basslets in a small reef? I was eyeing up Royal Grammas or a purple basslet, both of which had some nice colors but I wasnt sure how friendly they would be in a small tank.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Postby MadCityReefer on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:39 am

Longinus wrote:Thanks for the pics of your tanks guys, its nice to know how nice people have made their BC's look! Glad to know too that people have had luck with what I intend to keep, so far the rics I rescues from my last tank look pretty happy, although I am having trouble getting one latched onto much of anything. Nice to see some decently stocked cubes too, I was going to only go with 2 fish max, but I may have to push that to three. Has anyone had any behavioral complaints regarding the yellow tail damsels? I was looking at one of those for a starter since they arent bad looking and sound fairly hardy but I know Damsels can be jerks to more timid fish. Has anyone had any luck with basslets in a small reef? I was eyeing up Royal Grammas or a purple basslet, both of which had some nice colors but I wasnt sure how friendly they would be in a small tank.

I had a Royal Gramma in my 14gal and he did great, but a purple pseudochromis, diadema basslet, black cap basslet should all do just fine. I also had a yellowtail damsel in my 14gal which are far less aggressive then it's cousins. All together I think I had 4-5 very small fish along with a cleaner shrimp.
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
MadCityReefer

Postby plainrt on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:25 am

Lol didn't wanna say but I had the two clowns, Watchman goby and a citron goby for a good amount of time.
plainrt

Postby Longinus on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:10 pm

plainrt wrote:Lol didn't wanna say but I had the two clowns, Watchman goby and a citron goby for a good amount of time.

Yeah, I have been tempted by the perc pair now since this isn't my first time keeping a nano, but after being out of the hobby for a while figured it was worth asking people for advice on the other fish to keep. LA has some nice clown pairs but I think its worth holding off till the fragswap for the chance at a fancy pair or a lone fancy clown if I get too much in between :D Something small in the meantime is what I am planning though, so I still have room to make bad choices which can only be remedied down the line by moving up in tank size!
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Postby MadCityReefer on Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:27 pm

Longinus wrote:
plainrt wrote:Lol didn't wanna say but I had the two clowns, Watchman goby and a citron goby for a good amount of time.

Yeah, I have been tempted by the perc pair now since this isn't my first time keeping a nano, but after being out of the hobby for a while figured it was worth asking people for advice on the other fish to keep. LA has some nice clown pairs but I think its worth holding off till the fragswap for the chance at a fancy pair or a lone fancy clown if I get too much in between :D Something small in the meantime is what I am planning though, so I still have room to make bad choices which can only be remedied down the line by moving up in tank size!

Why wait see Kris over at Alpha AquaCulture and you can have your pic of hundreds of them!! Located on the east side of Madison near Hyvee
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
MadCityReefer

Postby Longinus on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:16 pm

I in part want to wait while my tank gets more established, its been set up for a couple weeks now based on an existing tank and I am trying to just take it slow. Thanks for the pointer about Kris though, I didnt know they were so close!
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Return to MARS General