Rotating powerhead

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Rotating powerhead

Postby luxauterna on Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:29 am

Hey everyone,

I have been doing a lot of google research on DIY builds of powerhead rotators. I am sure a lot of you have heard of Sea Swirls and their new product the Sea Sweep. I love the idea of the Sea Sweep, but I do not like their price. I know there have been some much more savvy people, that are able to work with electrical components, that have completed DIY projects that have replicated the Sea Sweep. I was wondering if any of you have, and if any of you would be able to show me or even for a fee help me create one? I'd really like to attach a Koralia to one. Here are some videos of what I am talking about.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/do-your ... tator.html
http://s13.photobucket.com/user/hollbac ... r.mp4.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKOYXuzBZrQ

Thanks!
Ryan
luxauterna

Re: Rotating powerhead

Postby Socratic Monologue on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:57 pm

I wonder if you could use the oscillating mechanism from a small tabletop fan...
Socratic Monologue

Postby luxauterna on Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:11 pm

I have heard of people using microwave motors, fan motor components , but mostly by building their own from parts bought online. I am just not skilled enough to create the motor box.
luxauterna

Postby electraglide999 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:14 pm

I recently built one. Works well but the Chinese motors I bought are not holding up. Need a new motor then I am back in business..
electraglide999

Postby luxauterna on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:12 am

Electraglide - did you follow a plan you found online? Would you be able to replicate and would it work with Koralias?
luxauterna

Postby Jeromi on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:42 pm

would a garden sprinkler mechanizim work? Not sure if they are made of all plastic but if it worked it would not need power to run it.
Jeromi

Postby luxauterna on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:19 pm

yea the problem with the garden sprinkler mechanism is it would not attach to a powerhead, unfortunately. It can be run in-line with the return, but I am looking for something that rotates a powerhead.
luxauterna

Postby Jeromi on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:08 pm

I was thinking driving both the power head and return with a sprinkler head but I have to take one apart to see what its made of, unless someone already knows. Sorry if this is treading on your thread [-o<
Jeromi

Return to MARS General