Sand sifting goby with crushed coral?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Sand sifting goby with crushed coral?

Postby Fishkeeper15379 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:33 am

I got a sand sifting Goby today for free from someone who wanted to take his tank down immediately. I put him in my tank and hes doing fine. I see him sifting the crushed coral and it seems to work as it should, but does anyone know if they need to be sifting sand? i dont know how exactly they pull food from the sand and am afraid he may not be able to get what he needs from the big chunks of coral.
Fishkeeper15379

Re: Sand sifting goby with crushed coral?

Postby Jeromi on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:09 am

They are eating the fauna that lives in the substrate eating while they sift. I've had one in a crushed aragonite sand bed and seemed to do ok however he did end up jumping out of the tank at one point. I would read up as much as you can on them http://www.wetwebmedia.com/gobysysfaqs.htm
Jeromi

Re: Sand sifting goby with crushed coral?

Postby Fishkeeper15379 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:05 pm

Ok, I just didnt know if he could actually be sifting the crushed coral or if he was just pulling it in and dumping it back out, unable to get anything from it. I read that they jump. Took us about 20 min to get him out of the tank and he came to the surface a bunch of times but never jumped. I have a section of glass that covers the front half of the tank ill keep on it from now on for added security tho
Fishkeeper15379

Return to MARS General