Any experience with Hex nano's?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Any experience with Hex nano's?

Postby Longinus on Mon May 05, 2014 8:20 pm

So we finally hit the point where my girlfriend is setting up her own tank so she has some things on her desk. The form factor she really liked was a 10g hex, which although tall seems like an interesting tank and should be fine since she mainly wants a small fish, macro and pest corals (hey, I cant argue with how cheap xenia, GSP and kenya tree will be!), so lighting will be some leftover PC bulbs that used to run in my biocube. Current plans are a tall rock column in the middle, an in tank filter that has a built in surface skimmer (handy little filter) filled with carbon + filter floss, macro growing in the sand at the bottom (feather calurpa) and some shrooms and low light/water quality corals growing on the top of the column. Has anyone here tried a hex tank before? Any advice for the oddly tall size? Suggestions for flow?
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Re: Any experience with Hex nano's?

Postby Socratic Monologue on Mon May 05, 2014 8:27 pm

My very first reef tank (circa 1990) was a 15 high, which is an equally dismal shape for a reef. It ran pretty well, as I recall.

You've got lighting covered with PCs. For flow, you might be best off just keeping corals that don't really need much flow (LPS, mushrooms). You're not going to be keeping Acroporas in a 10g with PCs anyway, I'm guessing.

Good luck; sounds like a cool desktop setup!
Socratic Monologue

Postby Longinus on Mon May 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Yeah, certainly no SPS in here, pretty much nothing with a skeleton except maybe some frogspawn or the like up top, and with the pillar configuration we are going for it should be possible to get coral to within a few inches of the surface for better light penetration. The only occupant will be a small purple basslet that she loves, which, admittedly a bit large for a 10g seems fine in a 14g cube and should be A-OK as the sole occupant. So far I think this could be interesting as long as I get a lot of flow dispersed in it, I may set up a spray bar in the bottom pointed up and put its intake towards the top.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Postby Carinya on Tue May 13, 2014 3:20 pm

Chyendra (member here) used to have one. They are hard to aquascape for sure.

Edit: here it is: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5159
Carinya

Postby Longinus on Tue May 13, 2014 5:05 pm

Thanks for the connection! So far I have some dry rock I bought from Alpha, but it needs more work to be a better pillar shape in the middle. I should have gotten some bigger chunks, maybe I will go buy one of their huge rocks if they have any left and break it up into slabs to stack (with nylon rods for support, would hate to have it fall!)

Yeah, this is a pain to scape so far, but I feel like it has a lot of potential if we keep it pretty open.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Return to MARS General