Reef Angel thoughts

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Reef Angel thoughts

Postby tickle on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:25 am

Im looking into one of these pretty hard at the moment. I was just curious if anybody had used one or uses one or knows anyone who does or had.
At the price point they come in at I can't really complain. $260 gets you the controller with pH and temp. 2 float switches, pwm or analog dimming, and 8 outlets.
I'm just a little nervous about the programming part. I can read code but don't truly know how to write it from scratch. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
tickle

Re: Reef Angel thoughts

Postby BraenDead on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:13 pm

I looked at it, but ended up going with a Neptune Apex. I currently have a Digital Aquatics, and normally enjoy tinkering with things have no problems with programming things. However, when it comes to my aquarium and a controller to manage it, I want the controller to be rock solid. When I was looking to replace the ReefKeeper, the Reef Angel just looked too similar to the ReefKeeper to me, and I worried I might have many of the same issues (in that it works great 99% of the time, but it's that 1% that hurts).

Edit: Please note, I have absolutely no experience with the Reef Angel. It could be the best controller out there, for all I know - all opinions were based off brief research.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby jelly on Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:45 pm

give beefy a call.. he has a reef angel he can tell you what you want to know about it..
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby tickle on Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:55 am

Did a little more thinking and realized one of the killers for me was the web interface. I had a hard time getting that to work with my old apex. Seeing as im gone alot for work ( I'm getting ready to leave right now, most likely wont be back till 8pm :o) that this just wouldn't fly. Wanting to give fusion a try I impulse pulled the trigger on a full apex. Thanks for your thoughts and inputs.

tickle

Postby jelly on Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:13 am

You will like the apex. I got one and I love it. I'm still learning how to use it to its fullest.
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby tickle on Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:21 pm

Ive used the apex before on some of my older systems. After seeing some jebao pumps running on vortech profiles no problem helped me along with purchading another. I just hope with fusion ill love it that much more.

tickle

Return to MARS General