blueish seals?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

blueish seals?

Postby causeofhim on Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:07 pm

Im looking at buying a 125 gal tank from somone. The tanks seals have a blue tint. He said that was from using an ich remover. Says he has never used copper in the tank.

Is't it copper that turns the seals blue? Should I risk buying it, it is a great deal?
causeofhim

Postby bobbet43 on Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:37 pm

Don't know for sure but from what I understand copper is the only thing that will cause the seals to turn blue. There is always a catch to a great deal.
bobbet43

Postby MattK on Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:58 pm

Copper is used to cure ick. It's possible the medication used was copper, and just wasn't obvious that what it was.

I hear there are ways to remove copper from tanks, but I'm not sure how involved it is, or how succesful it is. I remember reading about it on Reef Central on one of the advanced forums.

Matt
MattK

Postby meisen on Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:49 am

It sounds like it could be freshwater ich med Matt....methylene blue is commonly used and stains the seals characteristically blue for sure. I cant ever remember copper staining the seals like the mb does but its been a while since I used it. Did he perhaps have freshwater in there?
meisen

No

Postby causeofhim on Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:19 am

It has always been a saltwater setup. FOWLR first, when ich med was used, then he had LPS, SPS, and softies in there for 3 years. He said he had no problems. I just wanted to know what people thought about the blue, made me wonder.
Thanks
causeofhim

Postby MattK on Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:15 am

If he had shrimp in there and they lived, then it should be fine since I think they're the most likely to die due to copper levels.

Matt
MattK

Return to MARS General