(LED) Lighting question

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

(LED) Lighting question

Postby reefadict on Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:25 pm

So I am lost with LED's. I have heard mixed thoughts towards par, and watts vs lumens etc. I am looking to get into sps eventually and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for and led set up for a 75 gallon tank. I would really like to keep it under $600..
I also would like a jawfish habitat on 1/3 end of the tank. Could I go with just 1 say Radion on the one side and just keep all my corals on that side? Or would the lower light on the jawfish side cause algae problems etc.
Any advice from anyone currently using leds or radions would be great. Thanks for any info or suggestions.
tank is 48x18x21.
reefadict

Re: (LED) Lighting question

Postby nasanek on Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:59 pm

I've never used anything "fancy", but I've had ecoxotic panorama/panorama pro strips running on my ~20 gallon tanks for not quite 2 years and I really love them. They've held up really well, the corals seem to love them after they acclimate, and the company has been truly fantastic to deal with. I've also used a generic (made in China) pendant-type light that I've been very happy with.

Personally, I would find a way to make LEDs work for whatever application you're thinking of as they work very well and are likely more cost effective in the long run compared to whatever else you could try. I know there are others who would not agree with me, but that's my 2 cents.
Life is a comedy for those who think... and a tragedy for those who feel.
~Horace Walpole
nasanek

Re: (LED) Lighting question

Postby reefadict on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:35 pm

THanks Nasanek. I actaully did end up going with (2) 120 programmable led's with 8-20k available. I almost went with some halides and t-5's but figured the electric bill will look much better with the led's .
Thanks again. Looking forward to getting mine!
reefadict

Return to MARS General