Lobe receding after new lights how to heal

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Lobe receding after new lights how to heal

Postby mcmarkrazz on Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:45 pm

My huge lobe now has part of its flesh dissolving and I am afraid it will continue to kill part of the colonie. I replaced the lights and it cause a few corals to bleach as well as this one to get injured.
Any input on healing this coral please
mcmarkrazz

Re: Lobe receding after new lights how to heal

Postby Jake on Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:49 am

Honestly this sounds like a water quality issue. I'd pull some water out and take it to Paul at Living Art. He'll get you squared away. Make sure you don't have much flow on it. They don't like strong flow.
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
Jake

Postby BraenDead on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:04 am

If the new lights are much brighter than the old lights, you need to acclimate your corals to the new lights. This is typically done by raising the lights higher and slowly lowering, or else adding layers of screening on top of the tank (window screening) to block out some of the light. Slowly lower the lights or remove layers of the screening over a couple weeks to get the corals adjusted to the new lighting.

If you don't think the intensity of the lighting has changed significantly, I would agree with Jake that it is likely a water quality issue.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Socratic Monologue on Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:22 pm

+1 on Bobs advice. Sounds as if the light change did it. (What was the change you made, exactly?) I'd frag the lobo ahead of the dying part, or pull the colony out entirely; I'd be worried not so much of losing one coral, but of leaving in the tank a vector for the brown jelly sorts of infections that accompany "flesh dissolving" sorts of damage.
Socratic Monologue

Postby mcmarkrazz on Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:33 pm

We know the light did it but now that the damage is done the question was how to heal the coral not what caused .
The coral is not jellowing like some do when badly damaged just white and no flesh in one section. Luckily the lobe has 3dif sections but want to save this the largest of them
Changed from stunner led to stronger led
mcmarkrazz

Postby Mpiv on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:56 pm

When my lobo was damaged..... by an angelfish, not lighting I moved it to my sump under a refugium light. It took about 3 weeks to grow flesh back over it's exposed skeleton, which was about a third of the head.
I'm far from an expert but If it were me, I think lower light and indirect flow would provide a good environment for the coral to recover. I don't do dips and if there is no brown jelly, I would not start cutting it up....yet. If algae or brown jelly takes hold on the affected area, then Id say its time to start fragging.
Mpiv

Return to MARS General