I'M MOTLING...molting....molting......

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

I'M MOTLING...molting....molting......

Postby spbreeder on Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:29 am

I got 4 cleaner shrimp, 2 fire shrimp, and 1 peppermint shrimp a couple of weeks ago. No crap, every stinking day one of the little buggers molts. My tank is looking like a shrimp graveyard. It is probably a good sign though, they must be happy. :D
spbreeder

Postby tapper of spines on Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:04 pm

That sounds bit too frequent to my inexperienced ears. My cleaner does not molt more than once every other month, at most.

Are you dosing iodine? I've seen cases online that seem to imply that excess iodine can cause shrimp to molt, for some reason.

HTH
TOS
tapper of spines

Postby spbreeder on Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:25 pm

I've not dosed anything other than a few drops of selcon in the food a couple of times a week. The only thing I can think is that maybe they were in holding quite awhile at Liveaquaria and are making up for lost time. I did do a water change since they have been here so some iodine would have been replaced, but nothing outrageous. They do eat a lot. They like to hang on to the turkey baster as I am feeding the fish and pig out. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Denise
spbreeder

Postby tapper of spines on Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:45 pm

How big are they? If they're small and eating alot then perhaps they're just growing quickly.

TOS
tapper of spines

Postby snorulz on Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:54 pm

my cleaner shrimp molts usually once every two weeks, usually about a day after i clean the tank, i wish he would do it the day before i clean it then i can just suck out his shell.
snorulz

Return to MARS General