Interesting thing about Drs. F&S

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Interesting thing about Drs. F&S

Postby BraenDead on Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:07 pm

I was informed today that one of the recent members to this site found out about the site while ordering live rock from Drs. Foster & Smith. Apparently they can look up groups in a persons area based on where they live. I thought this was rather interesting as I never realized they did that, but it should hopefully draw more people this way.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby mfd78 on Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:18 pm

Yep - that was me who found out about MARS from Drs F&S. They were very helpful while ordering my 90#'s of Fiji rock (currently curing in my 75g tank) and I mentioned I was from Madison. He whipped out the web address and told me a little bit about the club. Since they are based out of WI, I imagine he's heard a bit about the clubs in the state.

Anyway, ya'll can look forward to my many questions on this site as I figure out how all this sw stuff works. This site has already given me a LOT of info. I look forward meeting some of you at the next meeting. Sorry the next one is cancelled (I work for the Madison FD btw so I know what a mess those fire are!) I'd be happy to host one - if you want to look at 75 gallons of water-n-rock!!! :D

Steve
mfd78

Postby mfd78 on Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:59 pm

Here's a pic of my infant set up - hope the pic isn't too big!

Steve

mfd78

Postby BraenDead on Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:03 pm

Looks like it should be a pretty nice setup. What type of lighting do you have? What type of tank do you plan on having? What type of protein skimmer, if any, do you have?

I beleive those are bioballs on the left hand side of the sump - you may want to remove those if you plan on keeping corals as they tend to be nitrate traps. You will get plenty of biofiltration from your live rock, sand bed (if present), and skimmer (if present). If you do not plan on corals, the bioballs should be fine.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby mfd78 on Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:24 pm

Man, am I glad I joined this site! You are the first to tell me about the bio-balls!!!

Here's the setup:
75 gallon tank
100# of substrate
110 watt HO compact lights x 2 (one 9325K, one actinic)
Aqua clear pro 150 wet/dry w/protein skimmer (built in)
90# live rock
no live sand

I'd like to start out fish only for about 6 months and then start adding coral. Should I leave the balls in for now and take them out when the time comes to start adding coral or dump them after the tank cycles? Anything else I need?

Steve
mfd78

Postby bobbet43 on Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:11 pm

In my opinion you should dump them as soon as possible. Why start off with a headache.
bobbet43

Postby SilverSurfer on Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:25 pm

i 2nd the removal of bio balls. Skimmer, LR, and DSB is what i use......
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby BraenDead on Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:13 am

Steve,

A much larger forum-based community you can check out for additional resources is http://www.reefcentral.com Tons of great information in the "New To The Hobby" forum and lots of good posts to read/search through.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby mfd78 on Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:54 pm

Thanks for the info Bob - I think I made a mistake in getting that filter. The tank at the store looks great and that's what they are using. Guess I should've done more research... Ahhhh, the story of my life!!!

Steve
mfd78

Postby MattK on Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:35 pm

Don't feel too bad Steve. I bought the larger version of that filter for my 125. I took the bio balls out and replaced it with Cheato. For a sump, it's not so bad, it has the built in skimmer and is nicely constructed. I just wish the skimmer worked better.

Matt
MattK

Return to MARS General