aiptasia?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

aiptasia?

Postby spbreeder on Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:35 pm

Help, I have a thing in my tank that looks like a little sunflower head. It is off the side towards the back so I can't get a photo. It was pretty flat on the rock but I just noticed that it had a piece of molted shrimp exoskeleton in it and it was curled up. Could this be an aiptasia? I saw some photos once upon a time but when I did a search all I could find were the photos of the typical branchy looking ones. Is there a type of aiptasia that kind of looks like a sunflower with a big center and small tenticles around the outside and no stalk?

Denise
spbreeder

Postby bobbet43 on Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:39 pm

Is it kind or a clear brownish color or is it a green? If it is green it could be majano which is just as bad. Joes juice will take care of either one or you could use kalkwasser mixed with ro water. just make sure you mix it so it looks like milk and use a syringe to apply it
bobbet43

Postby spbreeder on Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:46 pm

I moved things around and got a photo
spbreeder

Postby friogatto on Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:08 pm

Almost looks like a Flower Anemone.
Try searching for that and compairing pics.
friogatto

Postby tapper of spines on Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:25 am

Just to throw my newbie speculation into the mix, I vote against aiptasia as well. It looks like it might be an anemone, though it might be some kind of zoanthid. Let us know what you find out.

HTH
TOS
tapper of spines

Return to MARS General