Anyone use phosban?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Anyone use phosban?

Postby BraenDead on Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:11 pm

I have been debating using phosban recently, but I finally decided to order some. I received a phosban reactor and ordered a bit of phosban to go with it. I plan on rinsing the phosban very well in RODI as I noticed it is rather dusty and turns the water brown in the reactor (I am using about 50-70g instead of the recommended dosage, just to be careful).

Anyways, the reason I decided to give this a try. I have had diatoms/film algae on my glass which gets exceptionally annoying on the back of my glass (develops a furry green mat on the glass). I have no other algae issues. I run a very small amount of chaeto in my fuge. My ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate are all undetecable on my salifert kits. Alkalinity is at 9-11 (was low a couple weeks ago, but I resolved that issue). From my reading, I think my best bet may be to try phosban and see if this improves the algae issue.

Anyone have any other advice related to phosban use or the algae issue?

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Mark on Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:24 pm

Keep an eye on Alk ... it may affect that at least at first.

And take the introduction [like anything on your tank, as you know] nice and slow. I know some have had issues, but mostly when hooking it up with a large dose [and little/nothing before].

Also, it does let loose a LOT of red dust FeO when it first gets wet. Many suggest running a few gallons [even RO] through it until it starts to run clean before adding to the tank.

I've only passively run it in the sump, haven't done that for a while now [6 months?]. But soaked it in water and it turned a bucket mighty red ... glad it wasn't the tank.
Mark

Postby Ereefic on Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:07 pm

I've been using Phosban for a few months now on our softie/LPS/Clam system. We did some aquascaping and really disturbed the sand bed and had a good outbreak of cyano. Decided to try the phosban reactor. It seems to have helped.

The reactor with a small container is good for 150gal. (which is what i'm using) but our system is over that. I started using a full reactor and didn't see any negative effects. If I were going to run it on a SPS tank, i'd start out with a little and work my way up from there not to 'shock' the system, but being it is undersized for the tank its on, seems to be fine starting out how I did.

Like mark said, i'd recommend running the tank water through it into a bucket until the water is clear and not red.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Return to MARS General