if you had $250...

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

if you had $250...

Postby tzenda on Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:13 pm

if you had $250 to spend on a RO/DI unit which one would you get.

yes thats right, taxes came back and we get to spend 250 on a RO unit for the little critters. ive looked and looked and looked and i cant remember which one to get they all seem so similar i cant remember all the differences, brands, flow, ect.

i only need a low gal per day one, like 27gal/day would be fine.

any opinion/past experience would be apriciated
Your body is not a temple, its an amusment park. Enjoy your time there.
tzenda

Postby BraenDead on Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:30 pm

I highly recommend the ones from EBay that generally run for about $100-$115 after shipping. I've got one which works great, no reason to spend a lot in my opinion.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Ereefic on Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:32 pm

I would go to http://www.airwaterice.com and order a 'Typhon' and then if your not happy because you haven't spent the entire $250 on RO/DI unit, you can send me the remainder of the $250. PM me for my address. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I know several people who have the 'Typhon' from airwaterice.com that are very happy with them, us included. Customer service from them is outstanding as well. Check it out.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby BraenDead on Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:33 pm

Sorry, thought I would clarify - the unit I got from ebay is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 4&tc=photo
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby snorulz on Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:34 pm

I just bought a unit off ebay. I am getting a 100 gpd 6 stage unit, a box of 5 sets of pre and post filters, a box of 4 bags di resin, a tds unit, and a hose adapter and the grand total was 236.50 shipped. I don't think its to bad being i wont have to buy anything but water for the next 2 and 1/2 years.
snorulz

Postby snorulz on Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:36 pm

the one im getting is basicly the one above but im getting mine from aquasafesystems instead.
snorulz

RO

Postby causeofhim on Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:41 pm

I bought a 6 stage set up from these guys. Have been happy with it so far. Much better price than some of the others I was looking at.

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Aqua-Safe-Pu ... idZ1QQtZkm
causeofhim

Postby snorulz on Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:47 pm

yep, thats who im getting mine from, the one im getting is the 79.50 with free psi meter
snorulz

Postby Mark on Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:43 am

Pay attention to the Gallons per day rate.

Generally, RO filters come in 2 varieties in the hobby - a 75 gpd 98% rejection, and a 100 gpd 95% rejection. Obviously, the 100 gpd is `letting more through'. Not sure what a big deal that would be, but it does mean the DI would have to do more work [or more let through].

Something to consider. Don't know much more than that, though I'm happy with mine from airwaterice. Lots on the market, though.
Mark

Logistics of Ro/DI?

Postby Studioksr on Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:37 am

Could someone explain the logistics of using an RO/DI unit? Is is something you could plug in and unplug? (This is a dumb, but hopeful . . . question)

Could it fit under the kitchen sink?

I can't haul water up from the basement so I don't want to put one downstairs. Could you give an example of how long it takes to get 10 gallons of water?

And, do you do anything with the water that it rejects, which if I understand correctly is most of the water that passes through. So to get 10 gallons, you process over 100 gallons of water?

thanks
Studioksr

Postby BraenDead on Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:07 am

The unit I have fits nicely under my sink. It is not something that you can really unplug and plug in very easily, but there are ways this could be done (for example, use a faucet aerator adapter for the feed and just run the waste water down the drain when needed). How long it takes to get 10 gallons depends on the type of membrane being used (a 100 gallon per day membrane will create at most 100 gallons per day of filtered water, but likely less due to water pressure and temperature issues) as well as the water pressure and temperature. For myself, it takes about 2.5 hours to create 8 gallons of water. The water that it rejects goes right down the sink for me. Usually you will have it go directly into one of your drain pipes by fitting an adapter to the pipe and drilling a hole for it. Personally, I just take the drain tube and place it in my sink when using it since I live in an apartment.

Hope this helps,

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Studioksr on Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:50 am

Can you use the faucet and the sink while running the unit? Lets say I need to make dinner, or wash dishes, or run the dishwasher?

Or, Do you run the thing overnight? Does the water drain into the tub you mix your water into?

thanks -- this is very helpful
Studioksr

Postby BraenDead on Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:29 am

I've never used the faucet adapter, so I am not really sure how these work. I bought a couple adapters from Home Depot which allowed me to put the water supply in between the shut off valve on my cold water supply and the supply line to the faucet. This way, when I move out I can just unscrew everything and remove the adapters and reconnect the faucet supply lines to the shut off valve.

I run mine into an 8 gallon bucket since I have my tank in my office and need to take water from home to the office, so I just turn mine on when needed and turn it off when the bucket is full. You can also fill a tub of some sort with RODI and keep this filled with a float valve and a solenoid for the reverse osmosis unit to turn it on and off (autotopoff.com has these available). This way it will process water as needed and keep the tub at a constant water level.

Hope this helps

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

RO

Postby causeofhim on Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:56 am

Mine fits under my sink nicely and even with its holding tank. It is plumbed right into my cold water line and drains into my pvc under the sink (easy to do). I have a small water dispenser (faucet) that is drilled into the corner of my sink and when I need water it is always available. When I top off or do water changes I can easily fill up a 2 gallon jug in under a minute. It is easy now because I only have a 20 and a 30 gal tank. When I get my 125 going in the basement I'm just going to run another line directly to that sump from the unit with an auto shutoff switch.

I like this set-up because my family can use the water for drinking and cooking etc. and not just a big expense for the tanks.
causeofhim

Postby MattK on Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:14 pm

The unit I bought a while back came with a 3/4in hose adaptor. It basicly is an adaptor which connects a garden hose to the RO input line.

When I initially filled my tank, I used a water bed faucet adaptor kit to connect the kitchen sink faucet to a garden hose to the RO unit which fed directly into the tank. It was slow going and took a day and a half to fill (125 gallons with a 100gpd unit).

I now have the RO/DI unit connected next to my washer using a Y splitter off of the cold water line that normally feeds the washer. It fills a 45 gallon brute trash can which I wired up a float switch to turn off a solonoid which feeds the input. With this setup, I still have to transport buckets upstairs for topoff water, but it isn't too bad.

As for how much water RO wastes, the ratio of good water to bad water should be 1 to 4. IE: for every 1 gallon you make, it flushes 4 gallons down the drain. This ratio is debatable just like everything else in this hobby, but that's what the my unit recommends for a longer life of the RO unit without wasteing too much water.

Matt
MattK

Next

Return to MARS General