Stupid situations

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Stupid situations

Postby friogatto on Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:55 am

I have been keeping SPS for about 7 months now and decided I wanted to go bare bottom. I picked up a couple Seio 1500's and tore the tank down to pull the sand bed. In doing so I changed soem plumbing so I could fit my Skimmer into my stand where it should ahve been to begin with. Well I moved my Iwaki 70 rlt to a new spot, hooked it up and everything was working good. Then I come home from school 2 days ago and the tank's lights are out. Funny? So I start loking around and my Iwaki is sitting in about 5 inches of water. The bulkhead leaked and flooded the pump. I talked to Iwaki and tore the thing apart to dry. They said if it doesn't work when I put it back together it's toast. I blew a fan on it for the night, reassembled it in the morning and no go. It hums alot but thats it. So bye bye $280 pump.
Thats the situation, I'm the stupid part.
So now I have to decide if I want to sell my skimmer and get an Euro Reef or ASM skimmer or try and find another Iwaki 70 rlt.

Good thing about keeping the skimmer would be:
Don't have to wait to sell it
I already know exactly how to tune it in.
Skimmer works great
Skimmer is rated well over my current system. 300-1000 gal (I have 300)
No shipping headaches

Bad things with keeping the skimmer:
Rely on one large expensive pump
3 degree heat jump (from pump)
Pump sucks alot of juice
Pump is loud
Skimmer air intake is loud

Euro Reef good and bad:
Good, more cheap pump incase of failure. Could even afford a spare. CS12-3 is rated well over my system volume. Less electricity, less heat (I think), can become part of the ER club and be insane like the rest of them.
Bad, 3 pumps may transfer more heat (I don't know). Don't know the skimmer and will have a learning curve for tuning it. will be part of the ER club and end up insane like the rest of them.

So what would you do?
I really like the idea of multiple small pumps (cheap) instead of one super expensive pump. I also didn't like the fact that the Iwaki would jump my temp 3 degrees and it sucked alot of juice.
If I can sell the Equa C skimmer for $500 it would end up costing the same if I went with a Euro Reef CS12-3 or a new pump.
Sorry this is so long, but what would you do?
friogatto

Postby Ereefic on Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:05 pm

Yikes, sorry to hear about that.

As far as the skimmer goes, are you satisfied with its performance? Can you run a smaller, more energy effecient and quieter pump on it and still get good performance?
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby friogatto on Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:21 pm

Good idea.
Does anyone know of a pump that puts out 1500 gph
and maxes out at 31 or more feet?
Under $200
friogatto

Postby Ereefic on Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:29 pm

What skimmer do you have and what is the recommended pump for it?
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby friogatto on Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:08 am

I have an Aqua C EV 1000.
Iwaki 70rlt is the recommended pump. they don't list alternates for this skimmer as they do for their others.
friogatto

Postby BraenDead on Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:20 am

Might want to try contacting AquaC to see what they say aout pumps. Odds are they have probably tested numerous pumps with the skimmer and know about performance differences among the different pumps. When I contacted them about my Remora, they were extremely helpful.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Mark on Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:27 am

Maybe try a PanWorld pump? Aren't they the same engineer as the Iwakis - just a lot cheaper?

That's crummy news to hear - I have a much smaller pump [LG 4 series] that probably needs a good cleaning but if you need `something' for the meantime - just let me know. Probably not a permanent solution at all, but if unable to run your skimmer - I'd lend my spare for a few weeks.

I dunno what to say. You seemed to have your skimmer tuned up great, it was working well ... and I'd always be a little hesitant to move away from what works. Your points are quite valid about the needlewheel-type - but it's hard to recommend not going with what seemed to work so well.
Mark

Postby friogatto on Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:40 am

thanks mark
I pm'd you
friogatto

Return to MARS General