Cooked corals??!!

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Cooked corals??!!

Postby spbreeder on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:47 am

Well, I thought I was doing a good thing by upgrading to a titanium heater but I made a huge mistake. It has the heat control on the plug and when I was under the stand yesterday tweaking the sump's plumbing I must have bumped it.

This morning I came down to say good morning to my tank and I noticed my corals weren't open and cheery as ususal so I did tests, everything was fine and I was just baffled. Well, I put my hand in the water and it was very warm. The temp was 86. I shut off the lights and slowly (so as not to shock anything) added a little room temp top off water. It is now at 82. The shrimp, crabs, snails, urchins, yellow polyps, mushrooms and one ric. looks OK but the Kenya Trees, xenia and one ric don't look so well. The kenya trees are still shut up tight and the xenia is looking not as bushy as it was but it is trying to pulse a little. None of them smells bad.

What are the chances they are going to pull through and is there anything I can do to help them? The temp should be back down to 80 soon. I have already mounted the powerstrips on the wall high above the kids reaching level and my bumping level to hopefully see that this won't happen again.

Denise
spbreeder

Postby BraenDead on Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:47 pm

I think the corals should pull through, thankfully it didnt get extremely hot. Keep an eye on them and pull them out ASAP if you see them dieing.

Good luck, hope everything improves!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Studioksr on Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:18 am

I had a similar situation recently, I switched out heaters, and my temp rose to about the same level. I have different corals, but they did recover -- maybe a week or so?

Good luck.
Studioksr

Postby spbreeder on Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:42 am

Well, it looks like everything is going to be OK. The xenia is still looking a little less full but it is pulsing away. Hopefully within the next few weeks it'll look pretty again.
spbreeder

Postby meisen on Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:32 pm

Glad everything made it ok. 86 isn't too bad at all. The sudden increase and decrease is most likely what is causing any duress. Everything should make it through just fine. My old reef averaged 85 and spiked to 91 during the summer (AC got turned off with 20 watts per gallon on the tank!!!) and a deepwater acro was the only thing that I lost.

I love those digital ti heaters but taping the dial or something might not be a bad idea. I run two that are just a little more than half what I need to heat the tank. Neither one alone is enough to cook the tank if it gets stuck on. If one fails, the tank isnt going to freeze overnight either.
meisen

Return to MARS General