Will a large maroon clown destroy a small RBTA?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Will a large maroon clown destroy a small RBTA?

Postby causeofhim on Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:08 am

I have a gold striped maroon clown about 3 inches long and very healthy from Braendead. I am going to buy a RBTA to keep him happy. He had a RBTA in his last home. My question is, how big does the RBTA need to be for a clown this size? If I get a small one will he destroy it or will it be ok?
Thanks
causeofhim

Postby moujon on Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:51 am

Matt- can't answer that exact question- but if you looking for a good rbta- I still recommend Aryeh (Dag) in Chicago. The one I got from him is growing like crazy and very healthy. I'll be heading there again later in March- let me know if you want me to stop.
Shel
moujon

Postby BraenDead on Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:57 am

Matt,

The RBTA I had wasn't destroyed from the GSM, but it also wasn't happy. I would be certain not to get a tiny one for sure, or at least seperate the two if that is the case. If it looks like the RBTA is getting beat up, you may need to find a way to get the BTA some alone time, such as using a cover (strawberry basket on the BTA) or a divider or something else.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

RBTA

Postby meisen on Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:45 pm

Matt,

I had the exact situation you are speaking about (adding a RBTA to a tank with a clown in it). Tricky at best! The larger an anemone you can get, the better as long as we are talking a tank-bred specimen. Large wild-caught anemones dont settle in well, IME. In a perfect world, I would get the clown totally out of the tank before putting the anemone in, reguardless of size. The clown will often worry it so much that it wont stay in one place...even just the extra stress of having a clown pounding it all the time can keep them from acclimating properly. My maroon pretty much loved both BTAs I put in there to death. One did manage to settle in once I removed her (moved constantly for 3 weeks, stayed put the day she was out) but then went walkabout a few weeks later when I tried putting her back in. She dove right in, slamming her tail into the anemone and throwing sand around constantly. Anemone detached later that night and never found a footing again until it hit the overflow intake (dang.). FWIW, both anemones were small, like 3-5". Neither was much larger in diameter than the length of the clownfish. After the anemones passed on, I gave up only to have the clown try hosting in my bubble and then my frogspawn. Yikes. She finally got the boot a month later in my zoanthid lagoon tank.

Well, anyway, good luck. Bob's idea sounds good to me, a strawberry basket to keep the anemone safe for a while. I would try to get at least a 6" anemone or larger either way and watch carefully to see what unfolds. Might not be a bad idea to start conditioning the clown to the net now.....
meisen

Return to MARS General