Getting a Reef ready 125gal

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Getting a Reef ready 125gal

Postby causeofhim on Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:42 pm

OK I'm taking the plunge and going with a big tank (or big for me at least). I'm going tomorrow to pick up a 125 gal. I'm in the process of finishing off my basement for my office and family/rec room and have the perfect place for it. Although will not be setting it up until late spring or summer.

This tank with be set up with softies, a RBTA for my clowns, and some lower lighting LPS and SPS.

I have my lighting figured out I'm going with (3)150 watt DE 10Ks with (2)48" VHO actinics. I may put a 250 watt in the middle in place of one of the 150's but not sure yet. I'm setting up a sump underneath with a fudge and a skimmer and here is where I have questions.

What would be a reasonable skimmer for a tank like this? I know EuroReef, ASM, MyReefCreations, and others are the rage now, but does everyone here beleive they are worth the extra money?

What about some of the Berlins, AquaCs, or others? You can usually find them at reasonable prices when people sell them used.

Any advice, suggestions, or good used skimmers or other equipment I may need, please let me know.

Thanks for the help,
Matt
causeofhim

Postby moujon on Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:14 pm

So where are you getting your tank? If Aquatic World in Oconomowoc- let me know- you'll be about 25m from me. Stop by- I'm not heading into Madison until later in the afternoon.
Shel
moujon

Iowa

Postby causeofhim on Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:44 pm

No, i'm going down to Iowa. It's a used tank.
causeofhim

Postby klasikb on Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:02 am

Matt
IMO a good skimmer is the best money you can spend on your tank. They are worth every penny.
Sheila
Just a girl trying to create a little bit of heaven on earth, without killing it :)
klasikb

Return to MARS General