Uh oh, another bio-ball question...

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Uh oh, another bio-ball question...

Postby mfd78 on Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:49 pm

Hey all -

Let's start out by saying...I'm very green to this hobby but enjoying it so far (except the part where 20 gallons of SW cascaded across my basement carpeting...! :oops:

I'm currently cycling my 75g SW with 100# of LR and 3-4" of crushed coral substrate and I'm about halfway there. Since I didn't do enough research beforehand, I am currently using a wet/dry filter with bio-balls. After spending about 10 hours reading the forums, it seems about 90% of the people out there believe there are better things than bio-balls to put in there esp. if I'm planning on corals and such.

So, if not bio-balls then what? I've been told everything from LR to algae to filter floss. On top of that, Pet World has a 180 they've been running for 9 years with, you guessed it, a bio-ball infused wet/dry!

Also, when should I replace the balls - if I do? Some say right away and others say wait for the cycle to finish.

I'm very interested in getting a cross section of what people are using so please throw in your two cents.

This is a great web site and very informative!!!

Thanks - Steve
mfd78

Postby MattK on Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:08 pm

It sounds like your still in the middle of curing the live rock. Since there isn't anything in your tank and I'm betting your levels are high anyway, it's safe to pull out the bioballs all at once. If you had an established tank, that's when you need to pull them out slowly.

As to what to put in there in place of the balls, remove the shelf the balls were on, and then add left over live rock which doesn't look good in the tank, add some Cheato algae to the bottom and put a light over it and you have a make shift fuge. At least, that's what I did with my wet/dry.

Matt
MattK

Postby mfd78 on Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:47 pm

What amount of LR are we talking about for a 75g? I don't have any leftover LR so I suppose I'd have to go buy some more.

Also, do you still have your filtration media on top of the fuge or located somewhere else? I notice mine isn't cut very well so it isn't doing a very good job and moves around a lot.

Thanks for the reply Matt!
mfd78

Postby MattK on Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:24 am

I removed the filter pad (and it's holder) as well and let the water run into the middle chamber over the ledge from the skimmer section. The one thing I'm lacking is a good mechanical filtration. Right now I'm planning on putting a Fluval on the system off of the back of the tank with floss and carbon to fix that.

As far as live rock, I had a bunch of smaller pieces which I didn't find a good spot to put in the main display tank so I put them in there. It's not required, just a nice place to put extra live rock if you have it.

Matt
MattK

Postby bobbet43 on Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:15 pm

I would pull out all the balls as soon as you can since you are still cylcling you should do it now. If you have enough crushed coral on the liverock will be enough filtration and for mechanical filter I have a filter sock that I use and remove it once a week to clean it. It works great for when I want to run carbon or phosban. I put it in a seperate bag and place it in the sock so it gets plenty of flow.
bobbet43

Postby mfd78 on Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:54 pm

So...does the filter sock go over the return to the sump or where is it located exactly?
mfd78

Return to MARS General