more flow = more algae?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

more flow = more algae?

Postby tapper of spines on Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:54 am

I'd like to, once again, express my thanks for the existence of this community. I would never post a question like this at RC, it would just disappear into the background noise.

In the never-ending struggle to get the tank up to par, which in this case means getting the corals that we have to actually grow, a second closed-loop was added to the tank. This increased the flow in the tank noticably, probably adding 10 turnovers to the tank per hour. We're now turning over at least 20, and possibly as many as 25, times per hour. The corals have already shown noticably better polyp extension.

An interesting side-effect of the increased flow has been an increased rate of algae growth on the sides of the tank. Previously I would need to clean the glass of the tank maybe every other week, perhaps even less frequently, and now I need to clean it twice a week. Was this to be expected? Is this a good symptom?

Thanks everyone,
TOS
tapper of spines

Postby SilverSurfer on Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:36 am

I'm with you TOS, same thing happened on my end, i added two powerheads, and seems more algae growth in front of the powerheads, then anywhere else!

Just interested in seeing what others have to say on the topic..
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby BraenDead on Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:51 pm

If the nutrients are there, I think the increased flow will add more fuzy stuff to the glass. I've got a seio 1500, 2x seio 820's, and a mag 12 on a 55g (4300 gph total) and I was needing the wipe the glass every 2-3 days, both phosphate and nitrate at 0. Since adding a phosban reactor, I have had to clean the glass maybe once a week. I would recommend looking at trying to lower your nutrient levels to a point where the algae doesnt grow no matter what flow you have.

Unfortunately, I don't really know why the increased flow adds more to the glass-algae's, I'm guessing though that with higher flow they get increased access to the limited nutrients that are in the tank.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby tapper of spines on Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:24 pm

78 times per hour? Sigh. You put me to shame, sir. One day. One day...
tapper of spines

Postby SilverSurfer on Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:37 pm

lol lots of flow, hmm..think i have 30x tank so far.

Hey TOS, are you interested in getting this phosban reactor?

Could order from Drs. F*S, i think i am going to get one:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... &N=0&Nty=1
SilverSurfer

Postby tapper of spines on Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:04 pm

Tempting, but I'm not sure where I'd put it. Sigh. One day, when I'm not in an apartment. At least I've already sold the wife on letting me have a fish room. :D

TOS
tapper of spines

Postby SilverSurfer on Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:02 pm

yea i kept wondering why it felt like a sauna when i came into my apartment..hmm...

LOL, yea that's why i gotta move all my tanks to folks place in basement.

Braen,
You have any pics as to how u hooked that up? Like do u just need a pump to pump water from tank through that while it sits on ground? i am pretty sure if thats the way it goes, i will put it below my 10g stand.
SilverSurfer

Postby mfd78 on Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:29 am

I have a related question...I'm just finishing up my initial cycle and have "acceptable" nitrate levels. I'm getting brown algae over everything - rocks, walls, substrate. Is this standard to get a bloom like this right after a cycle ends?
I've got some critters in there working and doing a pretty good job. I don't want to take away ALL their business but I don't want a brown aquarium either!
I'm doing frequent water changes, got a skimmer going, and watching the food input. Anything else??? Phosban reactor?
mfd78

Postby BraenDead on Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:18 am

As far as the phosban reactor, keep in mind that some people have lost corals (mainly sps) either from the rapid decline in phosphate or from the dust released by the phosban. I had a 0 phosphate reading in my tank when I hooked it up, so I was not too worried about the first issue. I used the maxijet 400 (about $14) to run water to the phosban reactor. You'll need to have some tubing, I think 1/2 or 5/8, and run from the pump to the phosban reactor. Then, just run another tube from the phosban reactor to wherever you are drawing water from (sump, fuge, tank, etc).

mfd78 - It is pretty typical to go through numerous algae cycles during the first several months a tank is up. As lnog as there is nitrate, phosphate, and light (or any combination), algae will most likely happen. Even if you have 0.5ppm nitrate, this will cause algae. Although most livestock can withstand higher levels of nitrate, 0.0 ppm is the target level if you want to be rid of algae. This usually takes a while to achive, using various methods (Skimming, fuge, etc, etc, etc).

Bob

Edit: Changed "lot" to "lost"
Last edited by BraenDead on Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby BraenDead on Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:38 am

Also keep in mind to rinse the phosban media very well in RODI, probably run it through 5-10 gallons of water to get it running clear instead of brown.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby tapper of spines on Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:59 am

BraenDead wrote:As far as the phosban reactor, keep in mind that some people have lot corals (mainly sps) either from the rapid decline in phosphate or from the dust released by the phosban.

This sounds like english, ;) , but I don't understand this sentence.

TOS
tapper of spines

Postby BraenDead on Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:16 am

Shows what sleep deprivation and a busy day at work will do to you. What I meant to say is this:

Keep in mind that some people will lose various corals (mainly SPS) from running PhosBan. There are two theories on this: 1. The dust released by the phosban, if not properly rinsed, can cause RTN/STN to the corals. 2. The rapid decline of phosphates can cause RTN/STN. I personally tend to beleive #1 more than #2, mainly because if #2 were true you would lose more corals during acclimation than is typically observed.

I just wanted to make sure everyone realized that some people have lost significant numbers of corals from this and be aware of the potential issue, though most people do not have problems.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby tapper of spines on Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:23 am

Ah, sorry. I can usually figure it out, and now it that I know what it is it seems obvious, but I missed that one.

Thanks for your help Bob.

TOS
tapper of spines

Postby SilverSurfer on Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:28 am

thanx braendead, i am going to get one, i will mainly only be keeping GPS and pulsin xenia. I have 10g i can run some RO water in it for a bit to get it cleared up. i looked at it closer, looks like it can just hang on the back...

Thanx for info and clearing that one sentance up i didn't understand it either, lol.
SilverSurfer

Return to MARS General