well you knew it was coming...plumbing Qs

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Postby tapper of spines on Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:46 am

spbreeder wrote:That is a T joint at the base of the overflow, not a 90.

There is just one drain in the bottom of each overflow. I'll check the levels of the overflows and add a U tube. Boy would that be nice if it works. Denise

A few more options that might help, off the top of my head:

1) Increase the size of the drain lines after they leave the overflow box, at least on the left side. Go from 1" to either 1 1/4" or 1 1/2". This may remove any extra line resistance there is. This solution may go away, however, when you use the full potential of the pump.

2) Increase the size of the drain in the overflow boxes. This depends on how much room there is in the overflow boxes, of course. Do you have a dremmel? ;)

3) Add another drain hole to the overflow boxes. Again, a size restriction to consider.

4) Add another overflow? :(

To use the full potential of your return pump I suspect that an increase in draining capacity will be needed. Do you have extra U-tubes laying around?

TOS
tapper of spines

Postby spbreeder on Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:24 am

It is working. It is not open wide, but it is working. I am going to leave it as is till Sat. and let the pros tweak. Thanks for your help, Denise
spbreeder

Postby tapper of spines on Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:32 am

spbreeder wrote:It is working. It is not open wide, but it is working. I am going to leave it as is till Sat. and let the pros tweak. Thanks for your help, Denise

Did you change anything?

TOS
tapper of spines

Postby spbreeder on Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:27 pm

The boxes were just a tad bit off, I evened them up and it is working. You guys are great. I am still leary about opening the pump up more, we can play with that Sat. But for now, I am so happy. Denise
spbreeder

Postby tapper of spines on Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:47 pm

Good job! We'll work on it Saturday.

TOS
tapper of spines

Postby Ereefic on Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:18 pm

Cool, glad you got it working. :D

I'll bring the Mag 18 with me and we can swap them back again, unless your happy with the Mag 12. Your call. The 18, with head pressure should run the 2 overflows fine, maybe close it a tad, depends on your plumbing. See ya Saturday.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby spbreeder on Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:08 am

I am replumbing today.... I'll keep you posted.
spbreeder

Postby tapper of spines on Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:33 am

And, how'd it go?

TOS
tapper of spines

Postby spbreeder on Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:57 pm

Slow, I have a sinus infection with a pretty high fever and am pretty much feeling crappy.

I replumbed the return so the bar sits higher in the back and added more water. It is running almost wide open and is pretty quiet. The water level however is about 1/8 of an inch from the top of the overflow boxes. Is this a problem? I also cut the ends off the return bar and capped it off so the two lock line hoses have more pressure, kind of like a powerhead. I ma going to go back up and lay down, thanks for all your help.

Denise
spbreeder

Postby Ereefic on Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:53 pm

In regards to the height of water, you want water level in the skimmer box (inside of tank) to be lower than the water level in the tank. That way it is skimming the top of the water.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby spbreeder on Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:03 pm

It is about 1/8 of inch higher in the tank than in the overflow. Do I raise the boxes or slow the flow a bit? The water doesn't seem to be falling into the boxes so much, should it be?
spbreeder

Postby tapper of spines on Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:16 pm

I've heard some people say it should drop as much as 2" inside the box. My inside box drops about an inch when everything is clean. If there are things that are slowing down the flow (large bubbles, algae, snails) then it doesn't drop that much. If your inside-box water level is only 1/8" below the tank's then I would say that either the overflows aren't draining fast enough or you need to adjust the heights of your gurgle suppressors in the outside boxes to a lower height. I would start by playing with the latter.

HTH
TOS
tapper of spines

Postby spbreeder on Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:52 pm

When the airline in the gurgle buster is plugged the water drains faster, I am having a hard time adjusting it any other suggestions?
spbreeder

Postby BraenDead on Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:52 pm

What type of overflow was it - looked like a lifereef if I recall? Personally, with my lifereef slimline (3") overflow I have had great luck with stockmans.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby spbreeder on Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:33 pm

Well, I tweaked a bit and it is running better, it seems to be keeping up. If I have more problems I may have to try the stockman. Thanks, Denise
spbreeder

PreviousNext

Return to MARS General