mushrooms

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

mushrooms

Postby moujon on Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:54 pm

A rookie question...
One of my nice blue mushrooms has detached from it's rock and was freefloating in the tank. How do I secure it or coax it back on a rock?
Shel
moujon

Postby spbreeder on Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:16 pm

Hi, I used a nylon over the ones I got and in a couple of days they stayed put. Just check them often so they don't grow into the nylon.

denise
spbreeder

Sticking shrooms

Postby meisen on Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:31 am

Nylon works well, the only caveat is that the lack of flow can sometimes cause fouling/melting. As long as the flow is high over the nylon, shouldnt be a huge issue.

Another trick I have used is to spear them with a plastic toothpick and then poke the whole thing into the base of a rock where I want the shrooms to grow. Position it so that the base of the shroom is touching the rock and within a week or two, it will attach. You can then pull the toothpick out carefully.
meisen

Postby Sula on Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:17 pm

I once wanted some kelp to attach to a specific rock - I wrapped some sewing thread around and around the kelp and rock, then set it back in the tank. Waited about a week, unwrapped the thread, and it was all attached. Never tried it with a mushroom, but I'll bet it would work.
Sula

Return to MARS General