Kalkwasser mixing

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Kalkwasser mixing

Postby Toddah on Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:49 am

Is anyone out there using any of the vinegar+lime mixes or dow flakes and soda to increase useable calcium?
I have been reading about this for some time now and was wondering how many of you are doing some sort of this mixing
I am a little freaked out by some of the mix volumes and just wanted to know what recipies people were using over a period of time without any adverse effects.
I know I should just get a calcium reactor but I just don't have room. I am also considering building a Kalkwasser reactor but I already have to drip makeup so it wold seem simpler to just do the mix.

Some questions I have:

Can you mix this ahead like in 5 gallon lots and then use over a few days time without additional mixing?

I have seen up to 12ml of vinegar and 1/2tsp of lime in a quart of water can this formula be multiplied over like 20 quarts to mix a 5 gallon mix? (I would start with like 1/2 that strength I think)

Any other pointers for the new chemists on the block? :?
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby bobbet43 on Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:26 am

I'm using the vinegar and kalk for my topoff and Ilike the way it has been working. I've been mixing 15 gal at a time with 2 cups vinegar and 15 tps of kalk. It keeps my cal at a constant 430 no matter how much or how little I use during the day. I've found that using this mixture I have very little risidue left in the bottom of my topoff bucket. Oh by the way I go through 15 gal in about 4 days. Hope this helps you out some. Any other questions just ask.
bobbet43

mix

Postby Toddah on Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:18 am

So if my math is correct you are using :

32Ml per gallon of White vinegar
1 Tsp per gallon of Kalk or lime

Is that production Kalk or just like Ball lime?

Can anyone tell me if there is a problem with Food grade lime in this formula?

Do you do any testing on the stuff before introducing it (Ph or whatever)or not?
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby Mark on Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:46 am

Hi Todd -

I use some of the CaCl dowflake that I mixed up. I mixed a 1-gallon bottle of stuff - and the first few times I used it to `bump up' my newly mixed water. Tested the IO, added 100 ml, then re-tested.

Figured a `close approximation' I thought based on that ... and test when I need to use it a lot. But came to find that 160 ml would get my new IO to 440 Calcium ... so I could figure that 160 ml would bring calcium up about 100 points/30 gallons. Meaning that 160 ml would bring my tank [60 gal] up about 50 ppm Calcium.

Is this what you're asking, or my lack of coffee have me side-tracked? ;)
Mark

Postby Ereefic on Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:19 pm

Never used vinegar, just straight Kalk. But you can mix it up in a big batch, you just need to keep it covered otherwise the solution will weaken. I mix about 25gal. at a time in a garbage can and leave the lid on, and this usually lasts about a week.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby bobbet43 on Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:46 pm

I ve never seen anything about someone using food grade limebut that doesn't mean alot. As far as testing for ph or anything else never have but like using regular kalkwasser if you add to much to fast you will have a jump in your ph. Mine runs at a constant 8.1 to 8.5 during the day and 7.9 to8.0 at night with a reverse lighting on my fug. It works the best for me that way without having to much of a ph swing. Just remember not to mix the vinegar and kalk to much, just enough to dislove the kalk and when you add your ro to it, it will mix the rest of the way. Another benefit is you can use it right a way and not have to wait for the settling as you would with just kalk and ro.
bobbet43

Postby causeofhim on Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:07 pm

Check this article out. Its very helpful.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/ ... 4/chem.htm
causeofhim

Postby Studioksr on Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:25 am

I've been using food grade pickling lime for several years, mixing enough for about 5 days at a time as a drip top-off. I use a 5 gallon jug that is sealed.

I JUST started -- last week, to use the pickling lime with the vinegar per the recipe in the sticky at the top of this forum. (I think its under water chemistry if I remember correctly.)

So far, everything looks good. I did notice much less sediment at the bottom of the jug.
Studioksr

dosing lime

Postby Toddah on Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:24 am

I have been dosing pickeling lime for some time now but I was looking to boost the available cal content as I keep on needing to bump it with 2 part Bionic to keep it above 400 and I would like to raise it from there, so I went back to the RHF articals and began to do my research and wanted to know what others were doing without issues.
I was just scared to start "dosing" some mix without some assurance it was a wise thing to do.
Toddah

Postby Ereefic on Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:49 pm

Toddah, how much kalk are you mixing per gallon now, and how much do you drip a day? Are you replacing all evaporated water with Kalk?

You should have no problem keeping your levels fine with Kalk only on your tank, but you may need to increase evaporation in order to drip more without spiking your pH.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Return to MARS General