glue

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

glue

Postby spongebob on Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:26 pm

what is a good glue to use to attach small rocks with frags on them to my existing rock work
spongebob

Postby Ereefic on Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:03 pm

Superglue GEL, the end. :)
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby bobbet43 on Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:52 pm

Hey eric I haven't found one that will work underwater. I've tried about 6 different ones with no luck as of yet. I use the epoxy sticks and use just enough to hold them in place but I can still break the plugs loose if I need to move them for any reason
bobbet43

Postby causeofhim on Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:58 pm

I found the same is true. Superglue only works well on very small frags and rocks. I can still pull them off too. It works much better if both rocks are dry but that is hard to do sometimes.
I was just reading on RC that people use epoxy and superglue gel together and that works better (rock-glue-epoxy-glue-rock).
I haven't tried this yet. Just hope it doesn't give off some toxic fumes that will fry my brain. :lol:
Matt
causeofhim

Postby Mark on Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:05 pm

Superglue gel. I normally do it outside of tank, else try to figure a way to prop it so it will dry and stick.

Have done the SG-Epoxy-SG thing, but generally prefer to superglue to a small rock, then epoxy or SG that into place.
Mark

glue

Postby meisen on Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:38 am

Yeah, standard cyanoacrylate gel works great as do any of the commercially available "coral glues" which are the same thing. In order to get a stronger bond, do as others have suggested above and glue the frag outside the tank if you can. Dry both surfaces to be glued and allow 15-20' cure time out of the water. You can use a paper towel dampened with tank water to keep the frag and the rock moist if you like but typically, 20' isnt harmful to most live rock fauna/corals. If you have big astreas or turbos in your tank along with a lot of frags, you are going to lose some frags here and there.

The epoxy and sg trick works great with larger pieces however its best suited when you can wedge the piece in somewhere and fill the space with epoxy and sg. The epoxy dries really hard so the coral is effectively cemented in place.

Another possibility is to pre-drill your rocks with a 1/2" masonry bit. You can then "plug" most frags right in along with some glue and they will encrust right onto the rock within a few weeks.
meisen

Return to MARS General