The 180 is up!

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

The 180 is up!

Postby moujon on Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:44 am

Here we go again!
Image Image Image

~*~ PICTURES ARE IN THE GALLERY! ~*~

The 180 is setup and filtering. I got the stand painted Tuesday night. I have to do some touch-ups on it and then apply a faux finish, but I can do that with the tank running. The tank went on last night around 8pm when my husband got home from work. It took just three of us (me, my husband, and our 13yo daughter) to get it in and situated. The plumbing was pretty straight forward since all we really had to do was hook up a drain line and put new flex hose on the return. The rest had already been done.

My friend had used cell-pore tiles under the substrate- so those went down and the substrate over them. And since I was using about 50% old/new water- I just had to add that from the carboys and then add the fresh SW.

I know you'll be disappointed Erik, but no hour-by-hour pictures this time. I just wanted to get it done! With all the tank switching at my house- I don't think I remember what it looks like with out all the bins & buckets in the hallway, living room, laundry room, office.... it's the chaos that we call home!

I haven't attempted to put the light on yet- that will take 2 people- it's a 6' long Aqualightpro. I might as well wait on that until I get the last couple of big pieces of LR added. The corals will have to wait until later today to be added- I would like to be able to see what goes where. Plus I feel a nap attack coming on. Fish after that. Poor things are doing well, but I can tell the tangs really want to swim a little more than the 40L allows. My clowns are so used to being moved around they just settled into the anemones.

I'm not sure what I'll do yet, but the 180 came with a maroon clown that hosts in the anemones that also came with the tank. It was actually feeding them last night. It was housed in the 180 with some perc's (which decided to jump out before I got them) so we'll see. I may have to have a second smaller tank for him/her and the engineers.... Uh-oh- I think I might be getting the MTS-salt water virus....
Shel
moujon

Postby mfd78 on Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:50 pm

WOW - Nice upgrade! That stand looks sharp too plus, more elbow room for you and the fish! That last picture in the gallery looks almost EXACTLY like my basement - hoses and buckets and plastic tarps...OH MY! :lol:

Keep us updated...
Steve
mfd78

Postby tapper of spines on Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:24 pm

What? No play-by-plays? How do I get to colour commentate? :lol:

Looks great Shel! I can't wait to see it in person!

TOS
tapper of spines

Postby moujon on Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:24 am

Okay- Saturday morning- rest of rock going in. I need my house back!

So far the only things lost in the move were the stars and a crab- I think something died and fouled the water in the bucket. Too bad- they were decent sized stars. Initally thought I had lost a shrimp also- found the exo floating- but I think it may have just decided to molt.

And I think my neon goby may have gone with my old tank- thought I had it isolated in one rock- but so far haven't seen it. It hides in such small crevices that it could have been in the rock I included with my tank. Cool fish- I'm going to miss it- will definitely get another one or two.

I'll post more pictures after the rock is in. Then I'm going to need help ID'ing some of this stuff. A few things are easy- some I have no idea what they are.
Shel
moujon

Postby Ereefic on Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:26 pm

Looking good. :)

What are 'cell-pore tiles' and what do they do?
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby moujon on Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:29 pm

Now that I've screwed off for the whole day.....

I've got more pictures to post- almost everything is in- just waiting for the large colonies to really open up before I place the smaller ones. I am SO glad I did this! My other one was nice, but this is AWESOME!

http://madisonreef.com/gallery/displayi ... 3&pos=-147

Cell-Pore is a porous ceramic/glass stone media that can be cleaned and reused in filters. I have something similar in my canister filters on my FW tanks. Basically on this tank it's acting a bit like a plenum and but like a cushion for the rock. It's on the bottom of the tank, then the substrate is spread over that. Absorbs some of the impact of the rock.

Here's a link to DrsF&S:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 2004+22768

Jury is still out on whether the maroon clown gets added...And one of the wrasses might have to go if it doesn't settle down...At least I think it's a wrasse...
http://madisonreef.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-148
Shel
moujon

Postby moujon on Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:04 pm

New picture:

The clam (left center) got me soaked when I put it in- I thought it had expelled all the water, but it had one last surprise for me!
Shel
moujon

Postby moujon on Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:36 am

Well....the maroon went in and left in under 5 hours. It decided to take over the world and left it's anemones and went over to the far right side where the other anemones & clowns are. It was trying to take possession of all the anemones- it's now sitting in a tank all by itself with some LR.

Guess it goes into a tank with the engineers...Everyone else seems fine- pseudochromis stopped chasing the basslet (for now).
Shel
moujon

Return to MARS General