Where do you buy your fish?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Where do you buy your fish?

Postby mfd78 on Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:33 am

We were discussing in my sick fish thread about good places to buy fish. Where does everybody get their fish from - or better yet - where have you had SUCCESS from?

I've had a bit of a disappointing stocking start. Bought 6 chromis, lost 3, bought 3 more + 2 Ocellaris Clownfish + Bicolor Pseudochromis. Since then, lost 3 more chromis and I have a clown in qt with fungus/parasite problem. I thought my tank was bad or something!

Steve
mfd78

Postby Studioksr on Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:48 am

I always buy my fish at Aquatic Specialties in Madison (once or twice I mail ordered, but I like to see my fish in person usually.) I try to observe the fish for awhile to be sure its swimming and behaving normally. Sometimes I ask them to hold it for a day and I will come back to be sure it looks healthy. I also quarantine my fish for a couple of weeks to safe.

I don't remember ever losing a fish during the first month or two except when my tank was new, and I was told by the store (same place, by the way . . . ) that damsels could be added about 4 days after the tank was new. They died within the first day -- this experience taught me to be exceptionally cautious, and not to trust everything I hear. I still ask lots of questions, but try to verify online and in books.

Overall I have been happy with Aquatic Specialities, but sometimes you really have to watch the fish carefully. I have noticed that at times there are some sick fish -- maybe didn't fare well in shipping?

Katherine
Studioksr

Postby moujon on Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:29 am

I usually get mine from other hobbyists. I haven't had to buy any SW from stores yet. I've only lost a yellow tang- I'm not sure if it was the shock of moving or what- but it didn't make it through the first 24H. I've got a replacement to pick up on Saturday that came direct from Hawaii- it's been in QT at a friends place for a month- so far eating well and looking good.

I trust AQ Sp on Univ more that any other store. But I'm sure all stores have problems once in a while. The FW botia that I bought from them has done really well.
Shel
moujon

Postby mfd78 on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:05 am

Both good to know...

Does Aqautic offer any "warranties"? That 14-Day guarantee from Drs F & S is looking better but the shipping charges kinda kill it. I suppose a group buy would soften that blow some...

Steve
mfd78

Postby BraenDead on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:25 am

I stick with Aq. Specialties and LiveAquaria.com. As far as Aq. Specialties offering any guarantee, I don't beleive they do but I have had a fish die a week after getting it and they sold me one to replace it at their cost (which I thought was exceptionally nice). This may be an isolated incident though. My dealings with LiveAquaria have been very good thus far and certainly a god alternative if you can not find what you want.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby slug on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:35 am

Anyone interested in a group buy from liveaquaria? I need a few fish and usually the prices in town are quite high.
slug

Postby spbreeder on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:49 am

I have had very good luck with live aquaria. They have been very good both with livestock and dry goods. If you buy 2 or 3 critters the shipping equals out with what the lfs mark up (I understand it is necessary) would be, and the 14 day gaurantee can't be beat. They even QT everything they get and won't ship it if it isn't up to their standards. I guess personally I would rather go sight unseen but with a 14 day insurance policy.

I wish I had money for more fish, LMK when you are thinking of placing the order maybe something will be on sale. denise
spbreeder

Postby moujon on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:56 am

I'd be interested in some neon gobies from etropicals (liveaquaria sister site). Prices are a little cheaper from etropicals because they are coming from Florida as opposed to California. But the selection is more limited.
Shel
moujon

Postby Studioksr on Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:34 pm

Depending upon when you order and if you are in Madison, I may be interested in ordering something that I can't find locally. let me know, thanks!
Studioksr

Postby Sula on Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:46 pm

I have purchased healthy fish from both Aquatic Specialties and Aquarium Superstore. Unhealthy fish from PetWorld, who I was later told has the nick name "Death World"

You might be able to talk me into participating in a group buy :lol:
Sula

Postby mfd78 on Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:11 pm

Count me in too on the group buy. I need some Death World replacements!

Also, I'm home during the day a lot so if you need someplace to ship to I'd be happy to sign for the shipment. I live on the west side off Midvale and Odana if that is close to anybody. In fact, I'd be happy to place the order if nobody else want to. I'd only ask one thing in return - I have some specific questions about my set up if someone wouldn't mind looking at it sometime!

Steve
mfd78

Postby Rueg on Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:20 am

I usually buy fish from Pet World Warehouse, Aquatic Specialties and Animart. Just depends on what they have and if they look healthy. I would think you could have healthy or unhealthy fish from any of them though. Also Animal Adventures once. And I think Aquarium Superstore. Is there anywhere I haven't bought a fish in my lifetime? It is very rare I buy fish, but when I do I shop around.
Rueg

Postby Rueg on Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:30 pm

One other thing - if your not sure about the health of a fish ask the store if they could feed it. If the fish is eating it is a good sign of health. If it doesn't eat, don't buy it. If the store refuses to feed it, don't buy it. Most pet stores will feed the fish upon request so a person can see if the fish is eating.
Rueg

Postby SilverSurfer on Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:38 pm

i agree rueg, i had bought a blenny at animal adventures, when going out of business, i made them feed it for me and they did with no prob, but he didnt eat it, i didnt expect him to since they were feeding flakes. But he is very good at eating frozen foods, doesn't even take a 2nd look before eating it.

I would be interested in the group buy too, i am pretty much in middle of all of you, work in madison during the week. If someone is willing to get a order together to place on a new thread, would work out good.
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Return to MARS General