New Tank And Need Help!

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

New Tank And Need Help!

Postby TheNewGuy on Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:35 am

I got a new tank like about 2 months ago. and i dont really know what i am doing. i have a 38g tank with about 18lbs of live rock. i have about 7 fishes. and 2 soft corals. 1 is a green polyps and im not quite sure what the other one is. well i have a couple of snails and hermits also and i have a light footed crab <- is picking at my polyps -> and i dont know why. well if u have any recommendations or any advice for me that would be very helpful. thanks!
TheNewGuy

Postby BraenDead on Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:57 am

(Moved this post from the Buy, Sell, Trade forum to here)

Is there any specific questions that you may have pertaining to your tank or to the hobby?

If you are looking for general advice, I would recommend coming to the next meeting - you can get a lot of good information looking at others setups and hearing about everyones setups.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Re: New Tank And Need Help!

Postby tapper of spines on Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:33 am

TheNewGuy wrote:I got a new tank like about 2 months ago. and i dont really know what i am doing.

Read. Read. Read. Then read some more. Go to http://www.reefcentral.com and read.

HTH
TOS
tapper of spines

Hey Again!

Postby TheNewGuy on Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:24 pm

Hey every1 again. well i just bought 3 new things! . . . i gotta new light its a 95 watts light bulb for my 38g . and i bought 2 pwerheads. that make a good current! is there any suggestions on wut else i should get? i know i should get a skimmer! but im getting that sometime next month. for now. i just wanna get some corals and stuff any suggestions?
TheNewGuy

more info

Postby causeofhim on Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:39 pm

Tell us more about your set-up. Do you have any kind of sump or fuge? Not knowing more details, it seem to me that you allready have too many fish for your set-up. I wouldn't add anything else until you get more info.
Do you have test kits? You need to test your levels and see where they stand.
Personally, I would add more liverock and eventually a skimmer.
causeofhim

Postby TheNewGuy on Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:34 am

Yeah Actually i was thinking about going to the pet store today and getting like about 5lbs of live rock. its soo expensive though. around $7.99per lb. but no i dont have a test kit. i was going to pick it up last time i was at pet store but noticed i did not have any money left :( and i have a live rock base. about 2 - 3 inches. and i was thinking about redoing my tank and putting live sand in it. any suggestions?
oh. and i have no sump/fuge for my tank.
TheNewGuy

Return to MARS General