salt newbie

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

salt newbie

Postby hazard on Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:09 pm

Hi

I have never tried a saltwater tank before but I am sure I will get bored with one of my african cichlid tanks soon. Some one pointed me towards this site yesterday. I have already passed the website onto some fish friends.

I am alittle south of Madison in Evansille. I am currently running 15 tanks of african cichlids and plecos. Around 750 gallons.

I think I will try to make the Sept 26 meeting since it is about 10 minutes away. I always like meeting other fishfreaks in the area.

I will pass this site onto as many people in the area as I can. A friend from Janesville and I just started a site called http://wiscichlidforum.com/ this past weekend. If you know of any cichlid keepers could you pass it on.

Thanks
Chris
The tropheus are calling!!!
http://malatangcichlids.com
hazard

Postby hazard on Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:11 pm

BTW how do you get to your private messages and memberlist on this forum?

Chris
hazard

Postby Ereefic on Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:08 pm

Welcome Chris.

First let me say, get rid of all but one tank before you start a reef tank, otherwise you'll have 15 reef tanks, trust me. :lol:

We started with FW and then went to SW and have not looked back. :)
There are many cool FW fish, but nothing compares to a reef IMO.

We have a great group of people willing to help and share there knowledge. Check out a meeting if you can, it's a good time.

I know the private message thing was getting looked into, not sure where it's at yet, but shouldn't be too long before it's up. This site is still fairly new so things will be added and changed along the way.

A member list will be added at some point also.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby Ereefic on Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:12 pm

Regarding PM's. If you recieve a PM (you will, I just PM'd ya) you can access the message from the email notification sent to the email address you provided upon sign up.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby hazard on Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:02 am

I would have a tough time getting rid off all of my tanks since I am relying on the fish in them to fund my 50 tank fishroom.

I will try one and see how it goes.

For anyone that is interested he are pics of some of my fish and tanks.
http://webpages.charter.net/chazard/chris/

I saw that some of you guys are from Janesville. A friend of my on the southside of Janesville just finished his fishroom. I think he has over 50 tanks. Here are some pics. http://wiscichlidforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14

I know this stuff isn't saltwater but I just like to spread the word about other fishfreaks in the area. After this I won't mention freshwater on this site again.

Chris
hazard

Postby Brad_608 on Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:01 pm

FW dosen't compare you WILL end up with 15 reefs :lol:
I'm unemployable Yeah
Brad_608

Postby hazard on Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:35 pm

I am up to 20 freshwater tanks now and still 5 sitting empty to go up. Saltwater won't be for awhile yet. I still have to build a fishroom that will hold 40 tanks and then I will try saltwater

Chris
hazard

Freshwater Room question

Postby Toddah on Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:11 am

Hey Hazard,
So is the purpose of the fishroom to further tank bred and raised stock or just as a money making venture? Just from the outside looking in it seems like it would be like having a second job just doing all the maintenance and upkeep. I could see the money making potential with livestock costs what they are being fairly good. your statement of you needed the freshwater tanks to fund the construction of the the 50 tank fishroom made me wonder if this was hobby or a potential business.
I think one difference you might find in the reef community is most people are very involved with each component of their reef tank and it will become a really big part of your life like having children or another group of friends. The 50 tank fish room sounds like a breeding farm operation (I could be wrong) and not a hobby. I am not trying to be critical or anything I am just trying to understand another interesting aspect of this hobby.
By the way I did keep Cichlids for years when I did freshwater tanks and they were very beautiful. My wifes boss has a cic tank and the damn thing is constantly becoming overcrowded with new babies and we need a place for them to go, are you interested in adoption or trading some stock to help with this ongoing problem?
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby hazard on Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:20 am

As far as my fishroom becoming a potential business it is a far fetched dream. I have found there is not much of a market in this area for the fish that I have. No way to get to get in touch with other fish keepers besides the forums. Pet stores can only take so much and I don't get much for them. I am happy if I make $100 a month on the fish. I am starting to like the freshwater swapmeets that I goto in Milwaukee and Chicago. People just stop and look, if they like they buy. I have met some weird people in this hobby that think fish are a precious commodity and they are willing to screw someone over for a few bucks. Very discouraging. If I do or don't sell fish it is still a hobby for me.

I have been exposed to so many cool fish in the last few years that I want them all. If they breed so be it but I don't have any regiment that I follow to promote breeding. Change the water once a week and feed daily.

It takes about 1.5 hrs to change the water on the 20 tanks that I have. Not bad. When I get the room setup right it will be on a water changer system. Change floss and carbon in the box filters once a month. Not much maintenance.

Todd: what kind of cichlids are they? If they are clean fish we can talk.

Chris
hazard

Postby Toddah on Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:09 am

By clean you mean no ick or fin rot? I never saw anything that looked bad. As far as what kind I would be unable to ID any of them for you. However if you want to stop and look at them You could just stop at Stoughton Vet Service next to Walmart in Stoughton and check them out for yourself. Just tell them I (Todd) sent you and you want to check out the tank. My only interest is trying to keep the tank population to a manageable level so the things that live in there are not being stressed. This is one of those business tanks put in the lobby to entertain the customers and someone gets assigned to do tank maintance but may not really know that much about the thing.
If you can make a few bucks off the tank bounty then thats great. If you wanted to trade some stock to make their tank more interesting then that would be even better
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby SilverSurfer on Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:43 am

By clean you mean no ick or fin rot?

I believe he meant like pure bred, no defects. Like example: Yellow labs have become inbred so badly that they have white bellies and extreme barring as usually pure breds do not. just tell me if i am wrong chris.

BTW has anyone locally been able to breed percula's succesfully?
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Return to MARS General