Alkalinity and Magensium

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Alkalinity and Magensium

Postby jordypordy2 on Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:52 pm

I am having a hard time keeping dKH up, it keeps dropping to 6 or 7. I read that sometimes what the tank needs is magnesium, up around 1,300-1350. I tested and my magensium was down around 1,200. I gradually added magensium and got the level up to about 1,275. But then I had a fish die and a few others act oddly the next day. Amonomia, Nitrate, Nitrite, all look good. I quick did a 20% water change with Tropic Marin pro. The dKh came up to 8, about where I think I want it, but that was probably due to the water change.

Any thoughts?
jordypordy2

Postby BraenDead on Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:50 pm

I moved the thread to the general forum, probably going to be better suited here. What were you using to raise the magnesium? I have raised magnesium in my tank using a couple different homemade mixes and never had any problem (mixes of magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate), even raising it fairly quickly (1200 to 1350). How old is the tank? How are the calcium levels in the tank as well? Typically you will want to keep the alkalinity around 8-10, the calcium around 400-450, and the magnesium around 1350. If one of them goes too high or too low, t can be difficult to keep the others in the right range. What do you currently use to keep calcium and alkalinity in check? Corals, corraline algae, snails, crabs, and other things will all use calcium, carbonate (alkalinity), and magnesium in your tank.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby jordypordy2 on Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:29 pm

I have been using Kalkwasser as make-up water due to evaporation. Because the magnesium was low I got a bottle of a product (name I cannot recall) from the aquarium store. Kent makes some buffers I should probably use to keep Alkalinity up, I suppose. But even with Kalk, my calcium won't seem to climb past 400 and with water changes using Tropic Marin dKH goes to 8 and then it falls again within a day or two.

What products do you suggest? It seems that I am "running in place" chemically and cannot raise the levels. The tank is only about 50 days old. 280 Gallons, 40 gallon refugium, 70 gallon sump.
jordypordy2

Postby Slakker on Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:35 pm

If i'm not mistaken, with a young tank like that your Live Rock is going to be sucking up a lot of your calcium...which would make it real hard to keep the levels high.
Slakker

Return to MARS General