Suppliers and questions

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Suppliers and questions

Postby Bela on Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:13 pm

Has anyone used Tamp Bay Saltwater? Recommend?

Is a chiller necessary when using metal halides?
Last edited by Bela on Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bela

Re: Suppliers anb questions

Postby causeofhim on Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:30 pm

Bela wrote:Is a chiller necessary when using metal halides?

Depends on the size of tank, how many watts, how close you have them to the water, how hot your house gets, etc. I wouldn't think you need it if you have a good fan or two and good planning.
causeofhim

Postby Bela on Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:39 pm

I notice your in Janesville. Which LFS do you frequent?
Bela

Re: Suppliers and questions

Postby tapper of spines on Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:40 am

Bela wrote:Is a chiller necessary when using metal halides?

Ugh. A question that I have been struggling with myself. The short answer is: maybe, but you might want to check.

I have a 250 MH over a 65 gallon. The whole system is about 100 gallons. Yesterday I took the temperature of my tank throughout the day, and was disappointed to discover that the temperature rose 5 degrees F over the course of the day. I should probably have a chiller. :(

HTH
TOS
tapper of spines

Postby jbartig on Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:42 am

Don't underestimate the cooling ability of a fan blowing across the surface of your tank or sump. Last Summer my tank was pushing 85F when the lights were on. I put a 6" tabletop fan next to the tank to try and cool it off. The temperature dropped to under 77F pretty quickly. This is on a 40G tank with a 100W heater that was running continuously to try and raise the temperature back up to 80F. The fan was winning the fight.

Jeff
jbartig

Location: Brooklyn, WI - about 15 miles directly south of Madison

Postby tapper of spines on Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:48 am

I have two 4" fans in my hood. Without them I'd be in even more trouble.

TOS
tapper of spines

LFS

Postby causeofhim on Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:58 am

I don't "frequent" any LFS. I guess when I need somthing that I cannot buy online I go to Preferred Pets. Preferred Pets does a pretty good job at keeping their tanks clean and I would feel comfortable buying livestock there.
Just remember to take advice from any LFS employees with a grain of salt. Some people know what they are talking and some just act like they do.
causeofhim

Preferred Pets

Postby Bela on Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:51 pm

That's who I have been dealing with. They DO push the acrylic tanks. I must say I like the look better. They have also never heard of the starphire glass that I have been in search of for a glass tank. Big discount on species if I do order a system from them.

Bela
Bela

Postby Mark on Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:23 pm

If you have things set up right ... no chiller for halides is mandatory.

But - you will be maximizing evaporation so a top-up is important IMO.

I run 2 4" PC fans [adjustable] in my hood, have the back of the hood + part of the top open. No glass tops ... but 2 x 250w MH + 2 x 96w VHO on a 58g tank [just about same size as 65]. It can be done ...

Check your fans to see what cfm they're blowing. I had more issues with my last fans - these I upped the cfm and they can cool the tank [like Jeff's example with heater running] ... even with both MH's on.
Mark

Postby BraenDead on Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:56 pm

Mark - Do you know specifically which fans you are using? Currently I'm using 120mm Antec variable speed fans (4").

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Mark on Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:57 pm

They're these.
http://www.atruereview.com/fmc3xw/index.php

No idea on overall longevity - but I have a few spare fans + they seem to work nicely. I do like being able to turn them down when company comes over.
Mark

Postby jbartig on Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:03 pm

Are the fans just for moving air through your hood? Do you have any fans that are blowing across the surface of the water or aimed down towards the water surface? You probably don't want salt water being blown around, but a fan can at least be strong enough to cause some surface disruption (small ripples).

Mark is definately right about an auto-topoff being desirable if you are using evaporation for cooling purposes. You can go through a lot more water with a fan blowing at your water surface.

Jeff
jbartig

Location: Brooklyn, WI - about 15 miles directly south of Madison

Postby Mark on Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:12 pm

I just blow thru the hood ... both fans aimed in.

I have enough salt spray from the eductor, don't have it blowing on the water - though it's tempting to consider in the sump.

Seems like proximity to the MH does a lot - when I had one in, one out - the `far halide' when on seemed to raise the water temp a lot more than when I turned that one inward facing.
Mark

Return to MARS General