Aquarium news

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Aquarium news

Postby Bela on Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:30 am

When the Monterey Bay Aquarium put a great white shark on exhibit last fall, officials said they didn't expect it to eat other animals on display. Since exhibit animals are fed regularly, "incidents of animals eating one another are rare," the aquarium said.

But the 100-pound great white, now 5 1/2 feet long, took a bite out of two soupfin sharks at the aquarium in the past few weeks. Both of the soupfins died of their wounds.

Michele Norris speaks with Randy Kochevar, a marine biologist at the Monterey, Calif., aquarium, about the attacks......

The white shark at the Outer Bay exhibit at Monterey Bay Aquarium is the only one on display in the world. Monterey Bay Aquarium Foundation

© 2004www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4534519
Bela

Postby moujon on Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:12 pm

That's just the shark's way of getting it's own room!
Shel
moujon

Postby Fishfirst on Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:15 pm

jezz I could have told them that wasn't gonna work... maybe I should get a job at that aquarium to set em straight lol :roll:
Fishfirst

Re: Aquarium news

Postby Sula on Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:59 pm

[quote="Bela"]"incidents of animals eating one another are rare,"

The white shark at the Outer Bay exhibit at Monterey Bay Aquarium is the only one on display in the world.

Somehow I can't help but think that these two statements are related....
Sula

Fish Fight

Postby Toddah on Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:32 pm

SO there Aquarium is just like ours only 10000 times bigger. I put a new fish in the tank and that quiet little mild mannered fish I have had for years turns into FREDDY without a mask slashing and gashing the new guy for all he's worth.
Who knows what was "said" something like "hey man this is my block you better be gitten you A## back to your own block Hommie" and that led to "Oh Ya and who's gonna make me and Vinnie here leave, YOU?"
Take that and that and that.....GAME OVER nature rules and the biggist guy on the block now rules......... :lol:
No different than 2 5 year olds fighting over toys except one 5 year old weighs 500Lbs
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby SilverSurfer on Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:40 pm

:lol:

some peeps just need to be slapped!
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Re: Aquarium news

Postby Mark on Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:52 am

Sula wrote:
Bela wrote:The white shark at the Outer Bay exhibit at Monterey Bay Aquarium is the only one on display in the world.

Somehow I can't help but think that these two statements are related....

Somehow I think you're watched too many movies ;)

It's a huge accomplishment for them - to have one of these feed and thrive in captivity - never before done. Best of all - that they can release it back to the wild ... perhaps we will all be learning a lot more about sharks in the future :)
Mark

Postby Sula on Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:47 am

You don't think that the fact that they've never before had one in captivity has contributed to the low incidence of animals eating each other?

And what do you mean too many movies? NO SUCH THING!!!! :lol:
Sula

GWS

Postby meisen on Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:25 am

Roadtrip anyone?

I am dying to see her before she is released. Really amazing animals and fairly frightening even in the wild. I have unwittingly surfed with them in the immediate vicinty twice.

The predation issue the aquarium is having is actually more common than most institutions would like to let on. Between aggression and predation (not sure which these events really were), public zoos and aquariums lose a significant number of animals every year. They certainly dont like to publicize this (can you blame them?) and honestly, it is almost impossible to have multi-species and species-group exhibits without occasional miscalculations. And the dang animals all have different ideas of how to behave.....all you can do is put em together, cross your fingers and stand by to watch.

We certainly see evidence of this in our tanks. How many people have lost a chromis, wrasse or anthias from a group due to aggression? And these are "peaceful community fish". Isn't too different for the pros except the stakes are higher and usually its a bigger fish in a bigger pond.
meisen

Postby Mark on Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:20 pm

No roadtrip ... she was released last week I believe.

And I agree ... thus I smile a little more that they realized that their fishes health ranked higher than their daily ticket sales :)
Mark

Postby Bela on Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:18 am

The Montery Bay Aquarium is worth the road trip with or without the shark. Your right about ticket sales. This is not a circus aquarium. They study marine life. No whales jumping in a pool of water.
Bela

Postby meisen on Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:28 pm

Dang I missed her but good for the shark. Glad that she didnt end her days in a fish tank though.

I think they intend on getting another unless that has changed due to the experiences with this one. I would be surprised if the predation issue was the only one that caused her release, they had to expect that coming.

Glad they made their decision, likely based on the animals well being anyway. Even places with great reputations such as MBA agonize over the "high-road" decisions that will end up costing them mucho $$. Less gate means less money to pay staff, engage in research, do conservation projects and increase the quality of husbandry practices. So in the long run, sometime decisions that are negative for an individual animal (or even a few) are actually better for whole species, habitats etc. I think the increase in awareness and concern that the GWS brought to the general public probably outweighs the value of one shark to the world. This, IMO, is the basic premise of zoos and aquariums: that the work and awareness they create do vastly outweighs any negative effects on individual animals.
meisen

Return to MARS General