Frag Swap?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Postby meisen on Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:01 pm

One other thing, we had thought that since this is primarily meant to be a "local" swap, we were thinking of saying that any MARS members could come early (1:30 or so) to get dibs on a space to swap.

I dont know how we will be able to tell MARS members from others that show up however.... I am sure I only know a few people from the meetings and such. Any ideas? Code word?

I am working on a general overview of the swap to include answers to all these qs and general info that I will post to the various forums.
meisen

Posted....

Postby meisen on Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:15 am

I posted on Reef Central the details of the swap, pasted below as well.
If folks could just occasionally bump them for a day or so, it would help as this is the only time I had to post today (8 am).
Anyone on other boards want to cut and paste the info on there?

Your invited to a frag swap....
Hi all, we would like to invite you to the first annual MARS Frag Swap on on June 12th from 2-4pm in Madison, Wisconsin. It is open to anyone who would like to attend. The location is 825 W. Badger Rd at the fire station community room. It's close to the beltline (Highway 12/18 in Madison), centrally located, and has lots of parking.

Guidlines for the swap:
-all are welcome to trade, sell or buy
-no commercial vendors please
-pre-bagged frags and used equipment only
-as space is somewhat limited, no tanks or "frag boxes" please
-traders please bring towels for cleanup
-there will be no electrical outlets available for setups

A suggested donation of $5 at the door will go to the web operation for the club and we'll be giving away a gift certificate from Drs F&S during the event.

For updates, please read the following thread on the MARS website: http://www.madisonreef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?
meisen

Postby BraenDead on Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:42 am

Updated home page
BraenDead
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby meisen on Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:53 am

Thanks Bob
meisen

Postby Ereefic on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:21 am

I posted on the WRS yahoo site. Believe that goes out to there mailing list as not alot of members use the RC forum.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby Mark on Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:02 pm

meisen wrote:.....meaning everyone with frags to trade should prebag and label them. Since its pretty hard to tell the colors of anything in baggies under flourescent lights, I would recommend that people either pre-arrange some trades or bring pics that show the colonies in their tanks.

No truer words, let me repeat them.

Label the bags. [Sharpies work great]
Name / Genus / Color of coral
Salinity/ Specific Gravity
Lighting, how far away

When I've gotten the lower two, I really appreciated it and would recommend [will try personally] to provide such information.

Pics of the corals / mother colonies are also quite wise. Closed zoanthids, shriveled leathers, and pale looking SPS are par for the course. Esp for small frags of branchy corals - pics of the mother colony might be useful to see [color might be seen better here too]. Just opinion.

The only frag swap I've been too seemed difficult in those ways, and just getting people's `inventory' on what they have available [and peeking at the pale, closed frags to figure what I wanted; sorting thru the 12 bags (most unlabeled) in each of the 20 different coolers was just insane/idiotic IMO when trying to find a coral :lol:]. I did end up with some really nice corals [from the great people there] ... so it works either way, but figured I'd plug good labeling to help out those getting your frags.

My thanks and appreciation to Mark and Steve and all who are making this a reality. You're doing a hell of a job.
Mark

Very good point

Postby meisen on Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:12 pm

Thanks for the input, well-made point!!! Keep it coming....

I too have gotten "lucky" with some of the sad little brown frags I bought at swaps though I have some dogs too (I'll be keeping those to myself).

After seeing your tanks, I am going to beeline for your spot Mark....if I can fight the crowd that is ;)
meisen

Postby Mark on Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:42 pm

Thanks, I'm going to see what sort of goodies I can bring to share.

No expectations to get anything, really ... other than a good time.

--
Not trying to push an issue, but can I put any beer in my cooler and bring it to this location? 8)
Mark

LOL

Postby meisen on Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:45 pm

Mark, I thought that was your sig line for a second....lol NICE!

umm I will let Steve field that one since he is in charge of the space we are using.
meisen

Postby Mark on Thu May 05, 2005 5:28 am

Oh wow ... this is the weekend of IMAC?

Crap :(
Not sure what my story is then ...
Mark

Postby klasikb on Thu May 05, 2005 6:16 am

Mark wrote:Oh wow ... this is the weekend of IMAC?

Crap :(
Not sure what my story is then ...

Isn't IMAC the 24,25,26? The frag swap is the 12!
The bbq is the 26, you could hit it on your way home. I'm not sure what time it starts.
Just a girl trying to create a little bit of heaven on earth, without killing it :)
klasikb

Postby Mark on Thu May 05, 2005 7:17 am

:D
Mark

Postby mfd78 on Thu May 05, 2005 7:01 pm

Mark - you can bring a beer in your cooler to the swap...you just can't open it! I got a frag I'll trade you for it though - depending on the brand of course!! :lol:
mfd78

Postby Mark on Fri May 06, 2005 4:58 am

I dunno if you can afford Kris' `LE' homebrews though :P

I hear there's a 4 year wait list :lol:
Mark

Postby mfd78 on Fri May 06, 2005 6:49 am

Naw - I've seen the stuff on Ebay for $1 a case! LOL

In other news...I got an email today from Drs F&S and they are donating a $50 gift certificate for us to give away at the swap. Hmmm, are the organizers eligible???
mfd78

PreviousNext

Return to MARS General