Frag Swap?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Hmm..are organizers eligible?

Postby meisen on Fri May 06, 2005 3:53 pm

Well, I should think so....we just need to make sure that our entries get to the top somehow.

:lol:

M
meisen

Postby mfd78 on Sun May 22, 2005 9:27 am

Mark - I emailed you a pdf file for the swap. Let me know what you think...

Steve
mfd78

Only three weeks left......

Postby meisen on Mon May 23, 2005 6:52 pm

Its coming.....
meisen

Postby Mark on Mon May 23, 2005 6:54 pm

So do we have an `official list of rules' or anything?

I'm getting ready for it. Grow, coral, grow!
Mark

Postby mfd78 on Mon May 23, 2005 8:47 pm

LOL! Too bad those things don't grow as fast as my lawn does Mark!!!

The "official" flyer and rules should be out tomorrow - the "other" Mark looked it over and gave it a thumbs up so that's good enough for me... I passed it around at the meeting and made a couple improvements based on the feedback. I'll send a copy to Bob to post on the web so hopefully it'll be up soon.

Steve
mfd78

Postby BraenDead on Mon May 23, 2005 9:01 pm

If bringing frags, is it better to bring them mounted or unmounted? What is a general rule of thumb as far as a minimum size? Unfortunately, my SPS grow rather slow (I blame my ham 14k MH's) so I am not sure how much I can offer.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

frag guidelines part one

Postby meisen on Tue May 24, 2005 11:45 am

Here is what my experience tells me is "best practice" for fragging, please feel free to comment as these are just my personal preferences and observations as to how its done. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to this so this is just meant as a guide for first timers (wish I could have come to the last meeting, maybe we could have demo-ed a few frags!). I wont go into the whole process, just a quick overview. For those wanting more info, check out Anthony's book or go to reefcentral and do a search on fragging....you will get enough info to fill a few books.

That is Anthony Calfos Book of Coral Propagation....
Last edited by meisen on Sat May 28, 2005 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
meisen

Fragging guidelines

Postby meisen on Tue May 24, 2005 11:45 am

"SPS" type corals are fragged to typically 1.5-3" with at least 2-3 growing tips, often more. Rarer or well known slow growers usually get fragged smaller than 1.5", even down to <3/4". Frags less than 1" dont do as well IME so I tend to prefer the larger pieces and usually skip the tiny ones (I still have a bleached white 1/2" purple bonsai frag that hasnt done anything except survive...probably a bad investment though it has lived for like 4 months now). Frags that are encrusted on a reef plug or live rock pieces are commonplace as are bare frags. Both types do well, I prefer the frags bare myself so I can glue them right into the reef.
meisen

Postby meisen on Tue May 24, 2005 11:46 am

"LPS" types are usually cut and or broken off between polyps (in the case of branching Euphyllias, caulastraeas, blastomussas, acanthastreas, favia etc) or chiseled apart in the case of massive types (brains, favites, fungia etc). Typical frag size would be 3-4 polyp heads or a roughly 1-2" square piece. These pieces also come either mounted or unmounted.
As breaking living tissue on LPS is much more stressful, it is recommended that you consult a good book (ie Anthony Calfo's Coral Propagation) or experienced hobbyist before fragging. These frags are also best left to heal in their home reef for 3-6 weeks before trading them.
meisen

Polyps, mushrooms and soft corals are nearly always traded as mounted frags as they willl likely get lost in the reef otherwise. Mounting surfaces can be shells, live rock frags, agrocrete plugs or whatever. Typical frags would be 3-6 mushrooms, 10-25+ zoanthid polyps depending on size, a 3-4" piece of soft coral or a 1"-2" square of encrusting corals such as star polyps.
meisen

Fragging Xenia has been discussed elsewhere on this board but basically it is one of the few corals that is best allowed to "frag itself". Usually one "cluster" of xenia, 2-5" is a typical frag.
meisen

Re: Fragging guidelines

Postby Mark on Wed May 25, 2005 5:06 am

meisen wrote:"SPS" type corals are fragged to typically 1.5-3" with at least 2-3 growing tips, often more. Rarer or well known slow growers usually get fragged smaller than 1.5", even down to <3/4". Frags less than 1" dont do as well IME so I tend to prefer the larger pieces and usually skip the tiny ones.

To me, much depends on the variety and what I'm going for with it. Something like a green slimer [fast growing, common] will likely have larger frags than the more exotic corals.

Heck, many of the `LE' and such corals are often sold in 1" [or barely over] frags. And to me, it depends somewhat on what I'm doing with it. A 2+" frag in my experience is worth a lot more than a 1.5" frag with less branches - but if you're looking for something more `rare', I wouldn't expect a very large piece.

I know I'm planning to bring a piece of my M. orientalis - and see that Tyree is selling pieces of it at quarter-size for $85. While the `couple inches' is a wonderful sized frag, given it's slow growth and high demand ... unless you're handing me a big stack of cash, it's going to be the size of a quarter. I don't love small frags, but yet for slow-growing, high-demand corals ... IMO you can't expect large pieces. It's wonderful to get them.

It's tough, as the `market' says one thing, and my preferences say another. And for someone with just a 58 ... a 3" multi-branched piece is significant to lose [what are we talking, 4-6+ months of growth?]. In many cases I prefer to give more smaller frags than charge a bundle for a big piece I'll miss. Because a large enough branch I do value aesthetically at the minimum. Guess I need a 180, so I don't miss them as much.

--
On the unmounted/mounted ... IMO depends on if it's encrusted or not. A well-encrusted frag I will take every time over an unmounted one, as IMO it demonstrates that the frag is nice and stable - post-fragging. Given I've lost a frag or two in the fragging process [adapting to a new situation IMO] ... I lean towards mounted + encrusted corals.
But if not encrusted for a month or more, then the unmounted frag IMO is just as good ... but even if I lose some of the encrusting in plug-removal, I prefer the frag that's been sitting stable in the system a while.

But hey, just one more opinion about things. :)
Mark

Postby BraenDead on Wed May 25, 2005 11:29 am

Added the poster to the home page and sent out to the mailing list. The poster looks great, Steve!

Is anyone taking these to any fish stores or anything to try and get the word out?

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Mark on Wed May 25, 2005 12:23 pm

I've got a nice machine to print here at work ... does anyone need any copies?

Just let me know, I'll bring one over to Aq. Superstore. Or if someone else wants to ... that's cool.
Mark

Postby mfd78 on Wed May 25, 2005 3:00 pm

That's a nice offer Mark - we were wondering how to get some posters printed! I'm trying to talk to the "other" Mark about how we're going to get them distributed. Hopefully we'll have some info here shortly...stay tuned.

Steve
mfd78

PreviousNext

Return to MARS General