Putting 120g tank + sump on third floor

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Putting 120g tank + sump on third floor

Postby BraenDead on Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:12 pm

Just curious what everyones opinion are on this matter. Currently, I have my 55g + 25g sump in my office on the third floor. I would like to upgrade to a 120g tank, which will theoretically add somewhere around 600 lbs of weight over twice the area (48x12 vs 48x24, sump is in the stand). I am curious if there is going to be any issues keeping this much weight on the third floor of this building.

Now, from what I can tell and from talking to various architects, I beleive the standards for commercial buildings are much higher than those for residential buildings. Also, our office is on the top floor in the corner of the building, with the tank about 6 feet from one edge and 9 feet from the other edge (in other words, it's pretty close to the corner of the building).

I plan on talking to the building maintenance crew to see what the floor/ceiling is made of (wood, concreate, steel, etc...) and to see what their opinions on the matter are, but from one person I talked to he said he though it would be absolutely no issue.

Thanks for any opinions, I really don't want to have any structural damage come of this as I am not sure how the business insurance policy would cover that.

Thanks,

Bob Dankert
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Ereefic on Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:39 pm

Without knowing what the floors are made from, it's hard to say, and even when you do know, it's hard to say. :)

I know when we were planning the 210, I talked to my bro who works for a lumber company and sells building materials all day long about how much our floor would support. The floor being 2x8's, 16" on center with a 12' span I figured would be pretty good, but it turns out that the weight of the tank(s) would almost put our floor to the breaking point. It was somthing like 95%-97% maxed out with the proposed weight of the tank and that wasn't including furniture, etc.

With the extra supports, no need to worry now. :)

Find out what you can about the structure of the place and maybe even talk it over with a architect or something. Hate to see something bad happen if the floor won't hold.
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby tzenda on Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:25 pm

i work in a lot of comercial buildings and we run some larger man lifts around on the upper floors and they are not light and the floors have no problem with the weight. just go to the floor below you, stand on a desk with a flashlight and look in the dropped ceiling, if it has steel or conctrete beams you should be good to go.
Your body is not a temple, its an amusment park. Enjoy your time there.
tzenda

Return to MARS General