Moving to new house, advice plz

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Moving to new house, advice plz

Postby SilverSurfer on Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:40 pm

I am moving either next month or month after next, depends on what we find, we are currently looking into Lodi or Monona. I haven't set up the new bigger SW tank yet and going to wait til after i move as just be less hassle this way, but my 10g instead of rushing it on day of move i am moving it to my office so can take more time to move it and do it right.

It currently has percula, damsel, star, cleaner shrimp, snails, small carpet anemone, and xenia. Now best thing i could think of, was remove guys into fish bags, except the xenia and anemone are just on too big of rocks so figured give them their own ice cream pail(now i gotta eat lots of ice cream fast, lol) so they don't roll around much when in transit. Rocks and water will go into 5g buckets, and sand i will put in ice cream pail too with water most of it leaving some on bottem with little water, and move it to the office. Figured after i get rock and water and sand back in to let it sit for rest of day(plan on doing this in the morning) and then towards night after sand is settled to put livestock back in.

What do you think?

What would you do differently?
Marty

*O yea i wanna do it friday/saturday i have blue mushrooms and ricordia arriving tuesday or weds. so figured move it now with fewer corals then more corals...
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby Toddah on Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:43 pm

I would suggest Styrofoam containers for everything to allow smaller shifts in tempetature as you move from place to place. Most things are pretty hardy as long as the temp shifts are contained to a couple of degrees over a few hour period.
Light is also another concern, If you can keep things in the dark it is less stressful for them.
After you get the tank back up to temp in the new location float the bags so they stabilize to the new tank temps.
Good luck!
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby tzenda on Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:45 pm

i just moved my 75gal at the begining of this month and i put everything in sealed buckets, but left the sand in the tank with just enough water in it to let you know it was there. when it came time to put every thing back in, just go carfully so as not to stir up the sand that is already there and ya should be good to go without having to wait for the sand to settle.

Well it worked for me anyway :)
Your body is not a temple, its an amusment park. Enjoy your time there.
tzenda

Postby SilverSurfer on Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:47 am

Well i did it, the fish seemed to have done worse then the xenia for some reason, but should recover, i have two stalks of xenia, originally was two but then one didn't make it and the 2nd one split into two stalks, one stalk doesn't look good at all, other is doing alot better, anemone made it just fine and is opened back up, snails have already laid more eggs on back wall, lol.

Hardest guy to catch was the scooter blenny, i use a cup to get the fish out not nets, and everytime i went to catch him, he would dive and dig into the sand and then i couldn't find him :lol:

Thanx for all the input i am looking into buying another 20L located north of me and moving it to my folks place as the lady is sticking to FW only, so that will hopefully be the next moving tank...
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Return to MARS General