SPS chemical fights

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

SPS chemical fights

Postby BraenDead on Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:01 pm

Will two SPS pieces from the same parent (both fragged from the same parent) exhibit any chemical warfare between each other if they are too close or touching each other?

Thanks

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby klasikb on Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:58 pm

I had two small frags of an orange monti cap that we glued onto the same rock, one year later they have become one colony, so I would say no warefare if cut from the same colony. :D
Sheila
Just a girl trying to create a little bit of heaven on earth, without killing it :)
klasikb

Postby BraenDead on Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:15 pm

Thanks for the advice :) I think they will look much better being close to each other.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

warfare

Postby meisen on Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:22 pm

Yeah, agreed Shelia, corals typically dont exhit warefare if they are the same colony. I have had two different pieces of bali slimer that eventually grew together with no signs of strife. Sometimes though two different strains of the same coral (ie two different A.millipora) will exhibit stinging/warfare. Probably some proteins in the mucus that the coral recognizes as self I would guess.....
meisen

Postby Mark on Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:10 am

What the other smart people said :D
Mark

Postby BraenDead on Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:37 am

On the same topic, how close can two different pieces of SPS be from each other before the chemicals start hurting each other? I'm sure it varies by individual, but what is a good rule of thumb?

(One of my lights burned out so I moved all of the coral to one side of the tank, it's pretty crowded).

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Mark on Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:27 pm

Sorta depends on the Genus, IMO.
I dunno if I'd get within an inch of a Hydnophora [maybe more], though 1/4" from a Montipora wouldn't hurt a fly. Or so I think, others can likely prove me wrong and it seems for every Genus-level generalization there are two common examples that do not conform.

Acro's ... for a hairy one I'd give it 1/2" maybe - though I've seen messenteries that are 1" or longer so it likely depends on the coral.

Big problem in that equation is growth ... check out this shot:

Mark

Postby meisen on Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:56 pm

Hard to say about minimum distances in placement. I think flow comes into it quite a bit not to mention species (see Mark's awesome macro shot above....notice not much bleaching/tissue necrosis as is typical of bigtime stinging/chemical fights). If you arent really churning things up, mucus (containing possibily nasty toxins) tends to persist for a while in the tank. The closer corals are, the more likely they will slime and/or sting each other so I think its a relative thing. You can usually see evidence of this if you look for it carefully. What you can't see is the secretion of other chemical growth inhibitors (not mucus based) that many corals produce. These things are typically associated with soft corals (Sarcophyton esp.) but may be present in SPS as well. Hard to tell except based on anecdotal evidence whether or not there is proximity inhibition in SPS. My personal hunch, just based on the most casual of observations of myself and a few others, is that yes, there is both contact and proximal inhibition in many commonly kept "SPS" species. I dunno, I just use corals growing close as an excuse to frag em.

Anyone else think one way or another? Now that I think about it, its pretty interesting stuff.

[/img]
meisen

Postby Mark on Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:06 pm

That's not my macro shot, it's the guy from http://www.cnidarianreef.com, Joe.
Mark

Postby meisen on Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:05 am

OK I C, still a great shot.

Dang I wish I had a good camera.
meisen

Return to MARS General