Question about salifert CA test.

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Question about salifert CA test.

Postby spbreeder on Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:23 pm

I am kind of confused about what they mean by "clear blue". When it changes from pink to blue it is kind of opaque then how do you know exactly when the test is done? It seems sort of subjective as to what you are looking for. I don't want to dose if I don't need it. I have a great deal of coralline and only 2 hard corals in a 125 gal. Would there be signs if the calcium was low?

Sorry for being an idiot but i wish they included a color chart. Denise
spbreeder

Postby Ereefic on Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:41 pm

The first change you see will go to a kind of purplish color, then it is only a couple of drops more to get a blueish color. When you hit purple, your really close. Most likely close enough to get a pretty darn close reading if you can't tell the purplish from the blue. HTH
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby jbartig on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:23 pm

It may take running the test a couple of times to become familiar with what they mean by "clear blue". Keep adding the solution until you think the test may be complete. Check the amount you have dispensed. Then try adding another drop. If you truely have reached the end of the reaction, the color shouldn't change further and you should use the measurement you took before adding the extra drop.

Jeff
jbartig

Location: Brooklyn, WI - about 15 miles directly south of Madison

Return to MARS General