Creature ID

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Creature ID

Postby mfd78 on Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:28 pm

Hi again - I was checking out my fuge tonight and noticed hundreds of these things roaming around - not swimming - walking. They seemed to be eating my cyano oddly enough. I got a few pics and if I had to guess, I'd say...shrimp? Hopefully not of the Mantis variety. Don't see'm anywhere else...and they ARE hard to see. Any guesses????
Here is a tiny feather duster and one of those things...

Here's a whole herd of them...

Here's what I'm going to dream about tonight...
mfd78

Postby Mark on Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:59 am

Copepods, Amphipods ... `pods'.

Small micro-crustaceans that are great `base of the chain' sort of critters in our tanks that are positive to have. While mandarins and other fish might eat them - I've always tried to maximize the pods in the tank as they likely clean every nook and cranny and feed [directly or indirect] the corals and fish in the tank.

IMO, a sign of a healthy tank - though not necessary to have in giant #, often a common sight on thriving tanks.
Mark

Postby mfd78 on Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:56 am

LOL - oh, those are the infamous 'pods'! For some reason I was thinking they were free swimming - not walkers. I know there are hundreds of different types. I just never saw them before yesterday. Well, I'm happy they are "good" plus, they apparently like the cyano so it's an all-you-can eat deal for them...

I can just see people looking at these pictures, shaking there heads, thinking...what a noob! :lol:

Thanks for the reply mark!
mfd78

Nice pictures, "noob"!

Postby moujon on Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:40 am

:D

Nothing wrong with asking questions. Ah-the "thrill" of discovery!
Shel
moujon

Postby SilverSurfer on Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:49 pm

man if i could get that close with my camera! Them things are like so tiny yet so big on that camera and pretty clear for as small as they are. Great job on pics!
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby mfd78 on Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:45 pm

No, those aren't close-ups...those pods are actual size! :D Thanks for the compliment - I took those with my older digital Nikon which has great macro setting. It's a little picky on the focus. I only saw a couple of the big ones and when the camera started focusing, I picked up all the little guys too. They stay pretty still, unlike the fish which are always moving in 3-D.

So, the pods eventually end up in the main tank and hang out until they get eaten? Don't I lose a bunch when I siphon my crushed coral or do they hang out on the rock mostly? I've got quite a bit of detrus now - not to mention the cyano - so I need to do it quite a bit.
mfd78

Return to MARS General