Drs. F&S Frag swap update - raffle question

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Drs. F&S Frag swap update - raffle question

Postby mfd78 on Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:12 pm

Well - I got this email today and I'm a little confused. From what I get out of this, MARS has the potential to raise some money from Drs F&S as a result of their upcoming raffle. The problem is, we'd have to buy a license and help sell tickets. Since MARS doesn't really have any structure, this might be difficult.

I think the reason I got this was because I contacted F&S about donating a gift certificate for our June frag swap. If someone else was involved in this prior and would like to handle, please let me know. Otherwise, post your thoughts on what we'd like to do.

Steve

Dear Steve,

I hope all is well! It has been brought to my attention that if we are to hold a raffle at our Frag Swap as a fund raiser for area Reef Societies, that the clubs involved would need to apply for a State of Wisconsin Raffle License. The only way we could have a raffle at our event and sell tickets for that raffle is if it is hosted by a non profit organization. Drs. Foster & Smith can help promote it, we can have it on our property, and we can help obtain the prizes, but we as a company cannot sell the tickets and we cannot handle the money. So the only way that we can have the raffle as a fund raiser and not just for door prizes is to have your organization, and any other organization that wants to participate, run the raffle at the event. You can go to the following website for more information:

http://www.doa.state.wi.us/pagesubtext_ ... ubcatid=60

Also, the Wisconsin Dept. of Administration in Madison's phone number is 1-608-270-2552 if you would rather call. I do have a copy of the Raffle License Application. If you have a hard time finding it online, please let me know and I can mail you a copy of the one I have. The license costs $25 and it takes 4 to 6 weeks to obtain. If you are a tax exempt organization, you would need to provide proof from the IRS.

Please let me know if your club was planning on participating in our raffle as members from your group would need to be present to help sell raffle tickets throughout the day on Saturday, August 6th and in the morning/early afternoon on Sunday, August 7th. Otherwise, if you are just coming to visit, let me know and I will get you that gift certificate for your raffle. We are excited to see your club here either way! Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Denise Seubert
Assistant Director of Live Aquaria
Drs. Foster & Smith
715-369-3305 ext. 400
http://www.LiveAquaria.com
http://www.eTropicals.com
http://www.DrsFosterSmith.com
mfd78

Postby SilverSurfer on Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:19 pm

Are they getting us confused with another frag swap? Sounds like it to me.. As they mentioned the dates in August....
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby mfd78 on Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:24 pm

They are referring to their frag swap/open house in August. I was assuming they were offering some proceeds from the raffle to our club if we were willing to participate. After reading through the letter again, I guess this is going to be hard since we don't have tax-exempt status.
mfd78

Postby BraenDead on Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:38 pm

I *think* what they are saying is that we need to fill out the application ($25 and follow the link provided), OR proof of non-for-profit is required. Might be a good idea to do this if it opens further opportunities for the group.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby SilverSurfer on Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:51 pm

Do i feel a MARS.com, LLC Coming on? :lol:
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby Mark on Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:11 pm

No way, we'd be a non-profit.

As a business, they cannot get a raffle license as only non-profits can hold raffles.

Thus they're trying to find someone who can get them one, but as MARS is not an incorporated non-profit, we'd have to do that first. Then chunk down $25 for it.

I think Wis Reef Society might be moving on this one, as they're a registered non-profit and have that structure/dues/etc that MARS lacks [and which I'm very happy is that way, to be honest].

Anyway - just my peanut gallery on the subject.
Mark

Postby jbartig on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:15 pm

State statutes require that organizations must be in existence for at least one year immediately preceding its application or belong to a state or national organization that has been in existence for at least three years. Ch. 563.90, Wis. Stats.

The above quote is from the raffle license web site linked in an earlier posting. Doesn't sound like MARS will be holding any legal raffles any time soon.

Jeff
jbartig

Location: Brooklyn, WI - about 15 miles directly south of Madison

Postby spbreeder on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:24 pm

The above quote is from the raffle license web site linked in an earlier posting. Doesn't sound like MARS will be holding any legal raffles any time soon.

Ok, what is the key word? :lol: Not that I would be suggesting anything illegal.
spbreeder

Postby mfd78 on Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:07 pm

If it's OK with everybody, I think I'll just reply to this person with a polite "no thanks" and explain our current situation as a club so there isn't any confusion. I'd still like to get up there and see the operation during their open house though...

Steve
mfd78

Return to MARS General